Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2014, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Tranny issues

About a week ago my dad was driving my evo 9 mr, and he was about to go around a turn so he pushed the clutch in to downshift. He said the pedal dropped to the floor and stayed there. So he pulled it back up with his foot, and the pedal is like halfway up from the floor and will not move down. I checked all over for fluid leaks and found none. The slave cylinder operates properly. So I figured I have issues inside of the bell housing. The last few days I've been working to get the transmission out. This morning I pulled the access hole to disconnect the the throw out bearing. But it looked a little odd to me. It looks like some type of seal is in between the TOB and the wedge collar, and the wedge collar looks pretty depressed. Is this normal? Any help is appreciated, thanks!!
Old Apr 12, 2014, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ahhh.. Exedy...
No clutch fork stop or ACT Monoloc?
Old Apr 12, 2014, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Honestly man I have no clue. This is my first evo and I've only had it for a few months. Idk too much about these cars yet. It looks to me like the internals of the TOB came apart from the metal housing and are stuck up against the pressure plate

Last edited by josh_evo9; Apr 12, 2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by josh_evo9
Honestly man I have no clue. This is my first evo and I've only had it for a few months. Idk too much about these cars yet. It looks to me like the internals of the TOB came apart from the metal housing and are stuck up against the pressure plate
Well I'll tell you something, this definitely doesn't look normal. Your TOB seems to be expired my friend.

Get yourself a new TOB. Do yourself a favor while you're on it, and get yourself a clutch fork stop and an ACT Monoloc for added safety.

I don't think that this issue is because you don't have an ACT Monoloc or a clutch fork stop installed, but always be one step ahead.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

It looks to me like the internals of the TOB came apart from the metal housing and are stuck up against the pressure plate
Yes, that rubber seal is from the TOB, but the "metal housing" you speak of is in fact a retainer clip, and that is where it should be.

From the "shiny" area of the retainer clip that sticks out from the clutch, I would guess you have the Exedy retainer clip, which should be replaced with the ACT Monoloc I mentioned on my previous post.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Alright cool man, I appreciate the help
Old Apr 12, 2014, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Ok another question, how the hell am I supposed to disconnect the TOB so I can pull the transmission? I looked up the how to, but my TOB won't even get close to the wedge collar. Is it already released? The clutch fork is all the way towards the passenger side.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

I think it's released already. This is why you should get the clutch fork stop and ACT Monoloc
Old Apr 12, 2014, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

I'll definitely invest in them. But I'll see if the tranny will come out. I hope that things released already
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If not jam a screwdriver up between the clip and TOB and pus of the fork with your hand to try and get them to separate. If that doesnt work, rotate the engine while doing the same procedures listed before via crank pulley and ive known that to work on the real stuck SOB's sometimes. Worse case scenario os to go in from fork and undo all bolts holding PPlate to flywheel then deal with it once tranny is out. Hope all goes well
Old Apr 16, 2014, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

So I pulled the trans today and my TOB is done. So I'm going to order a new TOB, an act monoloc and a clutch fork stop. Only question is do I have to replace the pressure plate to use the act monoloc? I read in a couple of threads that you do and don't. Let me know, thanks

Old Apr 16, 2014, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Is your pressure plate fine? If yes, then no, you don't. I have an ACT monoloc installed on my Exedy twin and it fits like a glove.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, thank god. Pressure plate is fine which is why I didn't wanna buy a new one. Thanks for the help man!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, thank god. Pressure plate is fine which is why I didn't wanna buy a new one. Thanks for the help man!
Anytime
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering is this why ppl do the push-pull conversion?

Quick Reply: Tranny issues