Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Question about exhaust popping

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about exhaust popping

Hey all,

I Just noticed this popping noise when at idle and I was wondering if it's "normal"?

Specs: Full catless exhaust
Tuned by Tobz

The car idles normal, no weird smells or anything like that.

Thanks for any and all input.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
whats your spark plug gap set to?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
reminds me of my srt4, what exhaust are you running? any muffler or cat on it at all?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
whats your spark plug gap set to?
No clue, I can't remember if Tobz replaced them with my 60k. If not they are the stock plugs and I'm close to 70k miles.

Originally Posted by slowsrt4:(
reminds me of my srt4, what exhaust are you running? any muffler or cat on it at all?
It's full Perrin exhaust, yes there is a muffler but no cat.

Just to clarify the car could have been making this sound the 4+ years I have owned it. I just recently got a garage and noticed it when I got out of my car with it still running in the garage.

Last edited by jdlewh; Apr 16, 2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Different car as my evo has never done this, but my civic did this a long time ago when I replaced the spark plugs with new ones that were gapped almost double what they should have been. that was the day i learned never to trust pre-gapped plugs
Old Apr 17, 2014, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
Different car as my evo has never done this, but my civic did this a long time ago when I replaced the spark plugs with new ones that were gapped almost double what they should have been. that was the day i learned never to trust pre-gapped plugs
Good to know I'll take a look at their gaps. Wouldn't bad gaps cause the car to run bad though? At this time the car pulls great and idles perfect.

Is it possible the tune is a little rich and that's extra fuel burning off in the exhaust? I wouldn't think that would happen at idle though.

Last edited by jdlewh; Apr 17, 2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Try to get the coils, plugs & injectors checked out, definitely believe it's one or more of those or even fuel pump maybe?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
What Rom are you running? Do you have aftermarket cams? You may have the timing set too high at idle, running too rich/lean, etc. PM me if you want me to take a look.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoTurboTurk
Try to get the coils, plugs & injectors checked out, definitely believe it's one or more of those or even fuel pump maybe?
Changed out the plugs last night with some NGK stockers, good news is the old plugs all looked good and were properly gap'd. I noticed it really only happens after running the car really hard, if I just drive around normally stop and listen it doesn't pop. I threw the new plugs in gap'd at .22, car didn't pop at idle because it had been off for a bit while I did the plugs. Took it for a hard drive, pops were back.

Originally Posted by 10isace
What Rom are you running? Do you have aftermarket cams? You may have the timing set too high at idle, running too rich/lean, etc. PM me if you want me to take a look.
I have no clue what ROM I'm running. I bought the car almost 5 years ago, as soon as I got it I took it up to Tobz to have him tune it since I didn't know what kind of tune the previous owner had on it. To my knowledge I don't have aftermarket cams, at least I have not installed any anyway.