Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2004, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I realy dig the APS unit. But with the stock unit you can flow over 400whp why would you want upgrade your intercooler until you upgrade your turbo?

You might want to spend money some ware else first.

Eric
Old Mar 9, 2004, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

You sure it can support up to 400whp? Some1 said 300whp and others said 400bhp. Dang, this is confusing. Can some1 clearify this and back their statements up with some technical data? Thx
Old Mar 9, 2004, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by masterevo
You sure it can support up to 400whp? Some1 said 300whp and others said 400bhp. Dang, this is confusing. Can some1 clearify this and back their statements up with some technical data? Thx
The stock turbo can only support about 380whp with stage alone EMS on pump gas. Turbotrix's Shop car is doing that with the AEM unit on there EVO but it has up upgrade IC. I'm sure the intercooler helped with less persure drop but the stock unit does flow very well for a factory IC. I have seen More then 300whp on a dyno jet with the stock IC.

Eric
Old Mar 9, 2004, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Best Intercooler?

Originally posted by evov8
Can't decide. Hoping you guys could help.

Thanks in advance.
I decided to go with Greddy. They have a long history and good reputation. I also think their IC is absolutely beautiful. It also comes with the pipes, and it's supposed to be a direct bolt on fit.
I considered some others, but the looks of the Greddy and the clean design swayed me. I did look closely and it seems that the Greddy has the cleanest, less restrictive flow path of the inlet and outlet pipes as well..... I'm waiting for it to come in
Old Mar 9, 2004, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

silverevo 8 where did you end up buying your I/C from?
Old Mar 9, 2004, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Yep, stock intercooler is surprisingly a decent unit. I've seen evo's so far with damn near 400whp on the stock IC. It can't hurt to change it, but it does do the job. Eric used TTZ's car as an example, which is a good one at that . I don't plan on upgrading mine until I reach the 400whp mark when I upgrade my turbo.

Buschur's intercooler seems to be the best bang for the buck, IMO.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Hooptie157
silverevo 8 where did you end up buying your I/C from?
I ordered it from Boost Solutions. They gave me reasonable prices on my stuff. Of course, I ordered a whole lot of it Anyway, by the time I'm done I'll have AEM EMS w/UEGO, fuel pump, 660 RC injectors, Perrin fuel rail, HKS Suction kit, HKS cams, cam gears, B&B DP, TP, VRS cat-back along with Greddy electronic gauges for boost & EGT and the AEM wide band A/F gauge. I guess all I'll need to be able to tune it myself is a knock link or equivalent....
Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Deceit
Yep, stock intercooler is surprisingly a decent unit. I've seen evo's so far with damn near 400whp on the stock IC. It can't hurt to change it, but it does do the job. Eric used TTZ's car as an example, which is a good one at that . I don't plan on upgrading mine until I reach the 400whp mark when I upgrade my turbo.

Buschur's intercooler seems to be the best bang for the buck, IMO.
The Buschur IC is a good buy, but by the time you add the pipes & other misc items it's only about $100 cheaper than the Greddy.... Anyway, it's all a matter of preference

Oh yeah, the stock IC is fine, but so is the stock everything else Face it, when you start down the slippery path of mods, you'll likely end up with everything up-graded
Anyway, even though the stock IC is good, I think upgrading can only be good, specially in these hot weather Southern regions. Heat soak can be a bad problem here. A new big IC is gonna help for sure.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

I agree silver.

Like I said, until I upgrade my turbo, or hell even when summer comes (i'm in jersey) i'll be upgrading. Does the Greddy kit come with all hoses and everything?
Old Mar 9, 2004, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Question for everyone with the Buschur IC. The 750 is for the IC and lower piping and then do you have to still pay 330 for the upper pipe? Or does it come with the lower and upper both? So really you are looking at 1080 all together? Didn't know for sure so I wanted to ask.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

I think the piping is an option, but I got them both.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Deceit
I agree silver.

Like I said, until I upgrade my turbo, or hell even when summer comes (i'm in jersey) i'll be upgrading. Does the Greddy kit come with all hoses and everything?
The GReddy V-SPL Intercooler Kit comes with everything and Boost Solutions has it on sale for $950! I hope he gives me a discount! I have not even received it yet and I paid more
http://www.boostsolutionsinc.net/
Old Mar 9, 2004, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

does anyone have pictures of the lower IC piping from buscher, compared to the stock lower IC piping? I am also trying to decide on a new FMIC and I like the idea of making that lower piping work more efficiently. Are there any other kits out there that do the same thing with the lower pipe that buscher does?

Thanks
Old Mar 9, 2004, 04:24 PM
Account Disabled

buschur buschur buschur!!!!!!!!!! best one in the buisness, no questions asked.....
Old Mar 9, 2004, 04:53 PM

RRE is selling the Greddy for $780. It comes with the lower intake and exhaust piping but not the upper. Greddy has not released an upper IC pipe yet, but I understand they will this summer. From looking at it and what I have read (posted by AMS I think?) the upper intercooler pipe is not that restrictive anyway, and shows very minimal gains so....

I also just bought the Greddy, very nice design and quality at an extremely competative price. All of the intercoolers I have seen have certain pros and cons.

The Buschur is nice in some regards but given the choice between 8" of less pipe with a zero radius 90 like the Buschur IC, and smooth gentle 180 bend with a slightly longer pipe, personally I will take the 180 any day.

Actually if you think about it the air flow has to do a 180 with either design, Buschur does it with a gentle radius 90 pipe bend and then a hard 90 at the IC end tank. So your really not eliminating any bends there.

Also with it sticking down lower (besides the hassle of modifying/destroying you stock undertray piece) I just know that I would end up hitting it on somthing (curb, rock, etc.)

I am not meaning to slam the Buschur IC here, obviously his IC seems to work very well. I just don't think the differences in designs make one significantly better or worse than the other. I think the stock core is the most restrictive part of the system anyway, if this is true then any of these larger better flowing core aftermarket IC's should make a nice improvement.

Quick Reply: Best Intercooler?