Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2004, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by silverEVO8

Good info Joe Thanks for posting it. I wonder how one could inject water (or perhaps something like toluene) just when needed? I guess the AEM ems has several outputs and inputs and I could perhaps program it to spray at full throttle.... I also wonder if the spraying could be done in the IC outlet pipe? Or perhaps it must be done at the intake manifold?. I was thinking that it would be extremely efficient and very cool to inject an octane improver at just the right time. Toluene comes to mind. It would seem that a metered amount shot into the IC pipes just at full throttle woul be phenomenal. just think, getting 96-98 or higher octane only when needed! the rest of the time (cruising, part throttle under light loads, etc.) you'd run on 93 octane pump gas! One gallon of toluene could conceivably last for 3 or 4 tankfulls of fuel.....
Depending on which way you go (standalone WI controller or integrated into your AEM), you can control the duty cycle at which the water sprays. Think 5th fuel injector here, folks...except you decide the duty cycle and pick nozzle size accordingly. Best place to spray, from what I hear, is 6-8 inches before the throttle body to allow the water to properly atomize.

Toluene has its place, but not here, IMO. There's a lot of discussion about this over at the other forum I mentioned where they go into mixing water with methanol, ethanol, toluene, xylene, etc. I'm not that cool, I'm sticking with washer fluid. I don't think you're going to see great gains by spraying small amounts of toluene as compared to the lower charge air temp you will get from simply using water.

Happy spraying,
Joe
Old Mar 10, 2004, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 4G63>OOOO

You might want to research this a bit more. A properly tuned WI system is as good or better than any intercooler you will design, period. Just like a properly tuned motor will yield power, so will a proper WI system.

Check out:
Water injection forum (very informative)
Water injection FAQ

With WI, you can tune higher A/F ratios without worrying about detonation, to a degree. (12.5:1 instead of 11.5:1 or whatever).

Happy spraying!

Regards,
Joe
Read my post.. i said, the concept is good.. i also said.. it works... BUT, I dont like the idea of water in my engine... i have no arguments with you or anyone else that you can produce more power... however, my view/preference, is that I DONT LIKE WATER in my engine... especially excessive amounts...

And If someone designed an intercooler that is produce COLD air that doesnt pre-ignite, it is IMHO better than a WI system because it doesnt introduce excessive water in the system.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

so what's the maxium flow for the Greddy Type V (what the most HP it can handle)? I really want to know cuz I'm shooting for 410whp without any cooling problems.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 01:04 AM
Evolved Member

Angle Of Mercy, you are the only person that I have ever herd of that actually like the UKs crap weather, hehe. From what I have gathered, detonation is not too much of a problem on the Evo. It has a much better head design and inherently less detonation then the likes of the Cosworth engines that most are used to (over here). Most of the guys with them that wont to run 2 bar have to run around 7 to 1 comp ratios just to stop the things from blowing up (when the turbo finally kicks in). I just think that with water injection it enables you to run a bit hotter than without, just my opinion. I do agree that if your engine is to hot, then for the road, you should back it off. But it would be nice to turn the boost up (and advance the ignition) and the water on when you hit the race tracks.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Angel Of Mercy

Read my post.. i said, the concept is good.. i also said.. it works... BUT, I dont like the idea of water in my engine... i have no arguments with you or anyone else that you can produce more power... however, my view/preference, is that I DONT LIKE WATER in my engine... especially excessive amounts...

And If someone designed an intercooler that is produce COLD air that doesnt pre-ignite, it is IMHO better than a WI system because it doesnt introduce excessive water in the system.
I suppose there's not much else I can tell you other than to read up on WI and check out those links I posted. The whole advantage of WI is not having to worry about pressure drop, end tank design, core type, piping diameter, etc.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by chuntington101
From what I have gathered, detonation is not too much of a problem on the Evo. It has a much better head design and inherently less detonation then the likes of the Cosworth engines that most are used to (over here).
Whie you might be right about your comparo of vs. Cosworth engines, I think the EVO engine is not inherently resistant to detonation. My car for instance, is very prone to knocking I hate that, I cannot run advanced timing hardly at all and the tuners make my A/Fs so rich that I have continual cloud of smoke coming out of the tail pipe...... My engine knocked so bad when Al Friedman did a custom tune to it that he had to de-tune the factory maps in my ECU to prevent the timing pull.....
Also, from what I read and hear, my case is not unique
Old Mar 11, 2004, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

the best is hks, but greddy is also great