Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Broken Transmission??????

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2004, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Transmission??????

I was driving around today. I was in second gear and slammed on the gas. I heard a noise and it sounded like I chirped the tires. Now all of a sudden I have a loud noise coming from underneath my car when I decelerate or am at cruising speeds

It is especially loud when I am in 3rd an 4th gears. I took it to some friends house and we jacked it up off the ground. I revved in 3rd and 4th gears and it makes a whinny sound as well as some light metal grinding noises.

They said it might be the tranny or maybe differentials. Drivability seems normal..so does shifting. Does this sound like a tranny failure?? I thought the EVOs tranny was supposed to be bulletproof. I am not saying that I have any mods...for obvious reasons...but IF i did they would be simple like an intake and MBC set to around 20.

Man, I feel sick hearing my car sound like this
Old Mar 7, 2004, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

transfer case. there are many of us with this problem. I am on my 3rd one. The problem is, from the factory the gears are shimmed too close. take it to the dealer, but if they are ****** about the warranty than i would take the MBC off.

goodluck
Old Mar 7, 2004, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

I am on my third transfer case this Monday..... If you want Email me with the title noise, and I will attach in an Email videos I recorded of my car with a bad transfer case write me at talalhz@yahoo.com.

I have 4 Videos I can E-mail, if it the same sound in the Video then it the case for sure.

Thanks.

Talal.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by talalhz
I am on my third transfer case this Monday..... If you want Email me with the title noise, and I will attach in an Email videos I recorded of my car with a bad transfer case write me at talalhz@yahoo.com.

I have 4 Videos I can E-mail, if it the same sound in the Video then it the case for sure.

Thanks.

Talal.

I just emailed ya...

BTW, would a MBC void the warrant if it was a transfer case or transmission problem??

How long does it take for them to fix it??
Old Mar 7, 2004, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

welcome to the tranfer case club, albeit mine was not a manufacture defect, more of a mechanic defect. Any way, you probably need new gears inside by the way it sounds.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 05:29 PM

Are the transfer cases made that weak? I mean it's not like I was beating the **** out of my car. Basically rolling along in 2nd gear around 3000 RPMs and mashing on my gas...to see if I was holding 20psi (if in fact I had a MBC installed)
Old Mar 7, 2004, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by CleveBrownsFan
Are the transfer cases made that weak? I mean it's not like I was beating the **** out of my car. Basically rolling along in 2nd gear around 3000 RPMs and mashing on my gas...to see if I was holding 20psi (if in fact I had a MBC installed)

bump
Old Mar 7, 2004, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by talalhz

Thanks.

Talal.

Damn man, I got your email and those are the same exact sound I am having Was yours covered under warranty?
Old Mar 8, 2004, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by CleveBrownsFan

anyone?
Old Mar 8, 2004, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

the problem is like i stated above, some of the t-cases came from the factory with the gears shimmed too close. after the first replacement of my t-case, the second one went in less than 24 hours. I am just assuming because the tech/service manager at SHELTON mitsubishi are idiots. I brought it to another dealer and so far so good....KNOCK on wood. good luck.

a dealership can find any reason to void your warranty. here is an assumption that i have heard before "....well you have altered the cars stock boost level, which means you must be racing your car and caused the t-case to break. we cant cover you" ....F#*$ up ". If you know your dealer well then there shouldnt be a problem. I would just take if off just in case.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by SuperchargedGTZ
the problem is like i stated above, some of the t-cases came from the factory with the gears shimmed too close. after the first replacement of my t-case, the second one went in less than 24 hours. I am just assuming because the tech/service manager at SHELTON mitsubishi are idiots. I brought it to another dealer and so far so good....KNOCK on wood. good luck.

a dealership can find any reason to void your warranty. here is an assumption that i have heard before "....well you have altered the cars stock boost level, which means you must be racing your car and caused the t-case to break. we cant cover you" ....F#*$ up ". If you know your dealer well then there shouldnt be a problem. I would just take if off just in case.

Under normal circumstances, how much power should the transfer case/transmission hold? I mean, I see all these people with tons of WHP and not breaking their transfer cases....and I do not abuse my car...
Old Mar 8, 2004, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

i went through a transfer also they need to recall it
Old Mar 8, 2004, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Taltal will you email me those vids also please?? e_cross@comcast.net. THANKS
Old Mar 8, 2004, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by EVOVIIIU
Hey Taltal will you email me those vids also please?? e_cross@comcast.net. THANKS

I have a copy of one of the movies here.... http://userweb.suscom.net/~dtdelollis/noise.3gp You need Quick Time to play it
Old Mar 8, 2004, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by EVOVIIIU
Sent !

Quick Reply: Broken Transmission??????