Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

lightweight flywheel suggestions!??

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lightweight flywheel suggestions!??

just received my stage 2 competition clutch and now i need a nice lightweight flywheel to go with it. i found an xtd one for a great price but im not so sure about the brand.. need some help with this purchase!! any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old May 2, 2014, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
What about the flywheel that comp offers? I just bought a stage 2 clutch as well along with their flywheel. I would have resurfaced my stock piece but I didnt want to deal with the downtime of having to bring my stock flywheel to be resurfaced.
Old May 2, 2014, 02:44 PM

the comp one is like 350.. i found the xtd for like 170 so i figured if it was decent why not save 200 bucks..
Old May 2, 2014, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im running the comp stage 2 with the comp lightweight flywheel, its not comps super light one. Its not bad but if it was purely dd I would just stick with oem. Rev matching is much easier to do, but I would not go anything lighter than this one.

This is their super light one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131103064453?lpid=82

Last edited by TommiM; May 2, 2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old May 2, 2014, 09:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Stock flywheel is already only 15lbs. I wouldn't go much lighter for a street car. I also have comps "street" flywheel. I think it's 12lbs IIRC. I only bought over the OEM because the friction surface is thicker, so it can deal with heat better.
Old May 3, 2014, 05:53 AM

Like everyone else has said, the only reason to run an aftermarket flywheel on a street car is for it's ability to handle heat better than the OEM unit.
Old May 3, 2014, 07:12 AM

i ended up ordering the ultra lightweight comp one its almost 10lbs. i do plan to hit the track alot so hopefully this is a good fit
Old May 3, 2014, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by jjacks55
i ended up ordering the ultra lightweight comp one its almost 10lbs. i do plan to hit the track alot so hopefully this is a good fit
AWD cars launch better with heavy flywheels. its also much easier on the clutch. the flywheel stores energy to launch with. without it the engine has to be revved higher. with increased rpm comes increased friction at clutch. even daily driving is far easier with fly weight.

then there is the shifting. sure its easier to rev match a lite fly as the engine is more responsive. high rpm shifting is easier with a heavy fly. engine doesnt de rev so fast. actually helps engine stay at correct rpm for a good shift. lite fly revs down to quickly when you let off gas.

adding 7lbs fly weight to QM master twin made a nite and day difference on how well the car drove overall.
Old May 3, 2014, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
AWD cars launch better with heavy flywheels. its also much easier on the clutch. the flywheel stores energy to launch with. without it the engine has to be revved higher. with increased rpm comes increased friction at clutch. even daily driving is far easier with fly weight.

then there is the shifting. sure its easier to rev match a lite fly as the engine is more responsive. high rpm shifting is easier with a heavy fly. engine doesnt de rev so fast. actually helps engine stay at correct rpm for a good shift. lite fly revs down to quickly when you let off gas.

adding 7lbs fly weight to QM master twin made a nite and day difference on how well the car drove overall.

Very true from my experience with an oem and lighter aftermarket flywheel. Next clutch job Im throwing in an oem flywheel. This one was only a couple pounds lighter, maybe 2-3, and Im surprised how much that even makes a difference.
Old May 3, 2014, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe

^^^^^this is the truth.
Old May 3, 2014, 02:36 PM

ima try it out and see how it feels.. if it doesnt feel right ima jus send it back
Old May 3, 2014, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
exedy hands down (have it paired with comp stage 2)

its basically stock weight, i think two pounds light, but it moves the mass to a better area that keeps inertia up so there is no effect on driveability.