Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Kelford 272 cam install question

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2014, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kelford 272 cam install question

I have a 05 Evo mr.. I installed kelford 272 cams and my timing belt for the first time by myself.. I think I did everything right but wanted to make sure of something.. Is it normal for the car to have an annoying pretty harsh vibration and noise when revving it at idle or while you rev it while driving? I have had 272 cams on a eclipse gsx before and never experienced a noise like this.. I kinda hear the vibration over the turbo now.. The car runs ok.. Obviously it idles rough and I still have no tune whatso ever and installed the walbro 255 fuel pump at the same time I did the cams.. The car doesn't really feel much faster but I also need to tune it so I only really stepped on it once.. It's the first time I trusted myself doing timing and I do think I did it right but then I was thinking maybe that noise would happen if I messed something up .. Thanks for anyone's input/help
Old May 3, 2014, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post a video if you can. I know if you run the car untuned with cams they will idle rough and can cause lots of engine vibrations. Mine were idling pretty rough before the tune, and made the car really loud. after the tune the car overall was actually quieter, but I had them dial down the lope as well. Basic things to check is just make sure everything is still timed correctly and is torqued down correctly.
Old May 3, 2014, 03:21 PM

I tried to post a video of the exhaust which is all I have at the momemt and It won't let me.. I've been reading that if the oil pump sprocket is 180 off it will cause vibration after 4k Rpm's which is exactly what's happening.. Does that sound right? I didn't replace the balance shaft belt so that shouldn't be causing it.. After we set the cams at tdc along with the crank and oil pump we turned it 6 times then it lined up again.. Is that the correct way?
Old May 3, 2014, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like the oil sprocket is 180 out. This will cause a lot of vibration.
Old May 3, 2014, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Did you check the oil sprocket before you put the belt on? Without using the screwdriver method which is stupid and a waste of time. You just twist the sprocket right or left, if the arrow falls towards the timing mark you are fine, if it falls away away from the timing mark you need to rotate the oil sprocket around one time or until the arrow falls towards the timing mark. I suggest you check this, I know it's a pain in the *** but trust me "do it"
Old May 3, 2014, 07:09 PM

So I took it off and redid it.. Re did the oil sprocket and made sure it pulled back toward the mark and got it all back together.... Car runs perfect now and just finally got to enjoy my new cams.. Car feels great thanks for the input and help..
Old May 3, 2014, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

I'm glad you got it fixed! Always feels good when you fix something on your own.