Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

rev matching destroyed my clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2004, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well if you guys read his post, he bought his cars with 100+ miles on it. so basically its very likely that the car might have been abused during the numerous test drives before he took ownership.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

for an update go to this thread.. i dont wanna have two threads going with the same info

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...081#post798081
Old Mar 9, 2004, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Budlong,

Sorry about your troubles, I also think you should get a lawyer and explore legal recourse. >$4K is a lot of money!

All,

As Jbrennan and linden pointed out, double-clutching is really what saves the wear on your tranny. IMHO, rev matching (without double-clutching) does help somewhat. In daily driving I always "at least" rev match, and double-clutch from time to time.

I see people use the terms incorrectly frequently. For example, I've heard people describe double-clutching as flooring it in gear, and pressing the clutch to try and raise the rpm faster, hehe. People also comment on double-clutching during upshifts, but for the most part this won't be the case (rpms drop somewhat anyway when you upshift). Somewhere there is this animated gif of a double-clutch heel and toe and it's pretty cool. It really helps visualize it.

Here is a link I found quickly, but it's not the one I was thinking of:

http://karkrazy.m4driving.sm/racing_...downshift.html

He doesn't seem to show the clutch pedal being released while the shifter is in neutral and the rev-match/throttle blip though.

Back on topic, unless he was glazing his clutch from really slipping the clutch badly, I doubt it would cause his clutch to fail. From what he describes, this doesn't appear to be the case. Sounds like it was more of an inherent flaw in his particular clutch.

Good luck!

FB
Old Mar 9, 2004, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

my clutch never failed!!! i only brought it in because it was making a strange noise...

all this cuz i asked them to look at my car...
Old Mar 9, 2004, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

budlong, since you bought your car with 150 miles on it, it's likely that it has been test driven and abused before you bought it. The abused signs that they found on the clutch is probably caused by people who test drove the car before you. Have you told the Mitsu rep about this?
Old Mar 9, 2004, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

the mitsu rep-....i havent been able to speak with him yet... mitsu will not give me his phone number, instead they said they would call him and have him call me... still waiting for his call.

I did however explain the abuse must have been from BEFORE i bought the car.... their response...
"good luck proving that one"

****ers
Old Mar 9, 2004, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

At Veracom Mitsubishi, the burden of proof to show that the abuse occurred in the car's first 150 miles (before you bought it) may be on you.

In a court of law I suspect it would be on them.

Change the venue, make it a civil matter not a dealership one.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

i cannot afford to go thru 2-3years of letigation.. and if i lose for some ****ed up reason, i will be out of alot more then $5000 and my car will still be undrivable....
unless something extraordinary happens, i'll probably be forced to choose one of their options... and use my severence from my former job to pay for it.

this is so weak... gotta go hop in the 99 malibu (rental) and go to the store... life can be so weak at times.

Last edited by budlong; Mar 9, 2004 at 08:11 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
iam done, this **** is going nowhere. people replay does it destroy it or not. i say YES and no! it depends how you drive i got 9100 miles o n my car, i push it hard sometimes when someone wants to play - the car runs strong and still the clutch is fine. I CANT F... BELIVE people destroy clutches at 3000- 4000 miles .... something is not right...

Last edited by tweakdsm; Mar 9, 2004 at 06:39 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

i agree something is not right..i am not as fortunate as u with my car... im not saying the evo sucks... all im saying is my evo was abused and not by me... and because of this abuse i loose my warranty and have to pay out of my pocket.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

well like it said earlier in the thread, have a friend go in and say hes interested. have him go with with one of those young careless salesmen that want to show what the evo can do. have yur buddy camcorder it , then take that and your info on your car like what miles it had when u bought it into court and show them that they are the dumb asses, just make sure you pick the right salesman.

better yet take some things people say on this thread and just show Mitsubishi what people really think of them...
Old Mar 10, 2004, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

UPDATE--
just got off the phone with the regional manager from mitsu headquaters..
turns out the dealer was not telling me what the RM told them. This is what they are going to do...
Replace 3rd and 4th gears, replace the syncros, replace the bearings, and reassmeble the tranny. Mitsu will pay for this. I, in turn, have to pay for a new clutch. If i go this route, the RM said i would still have a warranty for my drivetrain if something broke in the future (as long as there is no sign of abuse)...

so im not completely satisfied... but ****, $800 for the clutch and install is much better than $5000..and it will be warrantied.

im gonna be talking with the service manager today and get everything moving.. so i can get my car back either at the end of the week, or early next week..

i guess im happy... actually im not happy, but im defintly "happier" than yesterday,..

BUDLoNG
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Good luck

Can you you go to another dealer since each dealer will have slightly different policies for warranty work?
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

i will not be going back to veracom for service after this... looks like im going to have to drive even further away from my house for service in the future....
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

From the pics, I thought everyone determined the clutch was still in good shape. So, don't even buy another factory/aftermarket clutch, and since the rest they'll warranty, you'll pay zero, right?

Quick Reply: rev matching destroyed my clutch?