Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

No heatshield on downpipe and o2 housing

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No heatshield on downpipe and o2 housing

I've researched this topic and only come up with one page on Evom about how running exhaust without a heatshield/coating will wear out rubber pieces faster.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this?
Is it really worth it to double the price of my downpipe just to ceramic coat it?
Can anyone link to a test where underhood temps were monitored with and without heatshields/coatings?
Old May 30, 2014, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dvolution
I've researched this topic and only come up with one page on Evom about how running exhaust without a heatshield/coating will wear out rubber pieces faster.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this?
Is it really worth it to double the price of my downpipe just to ceramic coat it?
Can anyone link to a test where underhood temps were monitored with and without heatshields/coatings?
In theory, it will since more heat is being generated to exposed areas. How fast, probably not THAT much faster.

Why are you taking them off? Any particular reason? I have my downpipe wrapped with DEI titanium just because it was rattling on the t-case. You can look into that. Easier and cheaper than coating.

As for underhood temps they will be increased, but to the point of hindering performance I doubt it. Is it just the downpipe youre talking about? Most of the heat shielding is on the manifold and 02 housing. I assume you have an OEM downpipe, because aftermarkets don't use heat shields. Well at least mine doesn't.
Old May 30, 2014, 09:09 PM

I'll be installing a CX Racing 2.5" o2 Housing and a Megan V2 3" downpipe. Both dont have heatshields or the bolt holes for one to mount on. Im using a Thermotec heatpad on the oil pan.

Im wary of exhaust wraps because of rust.

I'm not concerned about performance at all, just maintaining the reliability of other components, as this is my daily driver.

Last edited by Dvolution; May 30, 2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
I would have the O2 housing ceramic coated, the down pipe I wouldn't worry about...
Old May 31, 2014, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

Ive not had heat shields or firewalls in my engine bay for 4 years. Sure, ive replaced a couple vacuum lines that slowly crack or split at the edges, they only cost a couple bucks to replace.
But, know that rubber hoses, lines, etc are wear items. Even radiator hoses are supposed to get replaced eventually.
Old May 31, 2014, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't feel like it makes a difference really... I drive my Evo with no heat wrap / ceramic coating / heat shield, in 110+ F weather every single day for 3 years, and not once have I complained about anything.
Old May 31, 2014, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you will be fine without, your car isn't a racecar so those minimal changes won't be a big deal
Old May 31, 2014, 09:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by slowsrt4:(
you will be fine without, your car isn't a racecar so those minimal changes won't be a big deal
Good pump gas tune nets over 300whp, which is probably around or over 400 at the crank. 200hp/liter engine is a race car engine, and it makes a lot of heat. The down pipe doesn't see that heat the O2 housing does, so it can be left alone. But, like I said, I would ceramic coat the O2 housing...
Old Jun 1, 2014, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the info guys! Replacing a few vacuum lines and coolant hoses every few years is no problem so I'll throw it on and see how she goes.