Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Crank walk rebuild... Is my clutch too strong?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crank walk rebuild... Is my clutch too strong?

Well I'm one of the lucky few that got crank walk in my Evo 8.... I need a new shortblock and I have some questions.

We'll obviously a stronger clutch is going to put more load axially on the crank and cause it to put more load on the thrust bearings, and possibly cause crank walk sooner.... But is my clutch really the problem?!?

I got a sheps rebuild and got the exedy 5803HD clutch and pressure plate assembly as they recommended with something like 472 WTQ capacity....

We'll the mitsu dealer that diagnosed it says that If they bought a new stock oem shortblock, they would put the stock clutch I'm as well because the heavy duty one is what caused the problem

I obviously don't want to get crank walk again, but I sure as hell don't wanna be Rollin around on a stock clutch after I spent $ 600 on this exedy, which I really like.

So what do I do?!? If I go through the dealer they're not gonna get a built engine where I have the option to get upgraded thrust bearings, but getting a built engine is gonna take like a month longer, but I'm gonna have to borrow money for the short block and I need it ASAP!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 05:47 AM

bump
Old Jun 24, 2014, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
continue to use the exedy clutch but just disconnect the clutch switch under the dash so you dont have to push the clutch in when starting the car.

By doing that it will lessen your chance of crank walk. it helps because when the car is off there isnt any oil pressure to the crank and than a heavy clutch being pulled makes it hard for oil to get into that space so starting the car without pushing the clutch is your best bet. thats what i do and iv never had an issue
Old Jun 24, 2014, 07:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by silver9mr
continue to use the exedy clutch but just disconnect the clutch switch under the dash so you dont have to push the clutch in when starting the car.

By doing that it will lessen your chance of crank walk. it helps because when the car is off there isnt any oil pressure to the crank and than a heavy clutch being pulled makes it hard for oil to get into that space so starting the car without pushing the clutch is your best bet. thats what i do and iv never had an issue
i've always wondered whether this makes a difference. for sure it is logical that it can help, and mine is disconnected as well.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by silver9mr

interesting information, thanks
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:10 PM

either way for anybody, be wary of putting a heavy duty single disc clutch in your evo if you don't have a built engine or upgraded thrust bearings..... especially if you have high miles