Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Build help questions (yes I've searched :P)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2014, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Build help questions (yes I've searched :P)

So I'm to the point of no return.. Where the 350whp just isn't cutting it for me..
So I've started the journey of my first 4G build.. I'd like to seek some input from you guys on a few things though, so I'll give you a general run down of what my goals are, planned parts, parts I have and then finally the questions..

Goals:

Power level - 600/700whp Pump/E85 (on a AEM Series 2 with Flex Sensors)

Usage - I understand most of you guys set your car up for a specialty, whether it be Road Tracks, Auto-X, Drag or what have you. That is not what I have in mind for my build. I'd like my car to be able to do everything well, I don't really do one thing more than the other so there's no need (for me, IMO) for me to build it specifically for one thing. This may not be your way of building, you may not even agree with it, but that's what I want. I want a track suited suspension with a mild drag inspired motor.

With that said, it's really only driven occasionally on the street. I may take it up to Seattle International to drag every now and then and I may take it to Portland to hit the track. I enjoy them all equally, if there was one it did more than the other it would be weekend cruises.

Parts I have (in no particular order):

ETS Twin Scroll Turbo Kit w/ a Gen26266 Gen2 DCBB 1.15A/R
ETS 4" Intercooler Kit w/ Short Route Piping w/Tail Q BOV
ETS 4" SD Intake
CBRD 1" Slim Radiator w/Fan
BR Double Pumper
FIC 1100CC Injectors
AEM HV Fuel Rail
Gates Kevlar T-Belt and Balance Shaft Belts
(Other stuffs like Slim Batt, Catch Can, Vented Dip Stick, Cam Sensor Cover Ext.)

My original planned parts are:

Manley Billet Crank (*It's actually a rotating assembly kit)
Manley I-Beam Turbo Tuff Rods w/625 Bolts (STD stroke)
Weisco 1400HD 8.5-1 or 9.0-1 (depending on the advice I get) (STD)
ACL Mains
GSC S2 Cams
Kiggley Beehive Springs
SuperTech Inconel Ex. Valves (STD)
SuperTech Bl. Nitrate In. Valves (STD)
GSC Lifters
SuperTech Guides and Seats
SparkTech CDI COP
Magnus V5
Boomba 75mm TB
AEM Series 2 EMS w/GM Flex Fuel Sensors
ShepTrans Ulitmate Trans., Center and Rear Diff.
Exedy Triple Plate (maybe a Twin Carbon, still in the air)

Now here is where my questions come in:

Being this is going to be a true Flex Fuel build, I'm a little confused by the Piston choice. I know most guys on pump tend to stay lower (from what I've seen, especially with higher boost levels) at 8.0-9.0-1, while the E85 guys are running slightly high Compression Ratios. I tried to search this, but I didn't find much info. that was geared toward this question.

I'm also a little confused about going symmetric or asymmetric with this being Flex.. Which piston design and comp. ratio would be a good trade off?

I have also been reading a lot about stroked motors ie: LR2.3/2.4 builds being great for the street. I never really thought about it too much until now, but honestly after reading the results I'm interested in going with a LR setup rather than staying with the built 2.0L I was originally planning. I think this level of a build is completely enough to get me to the HP/TQ goal on a 2.0L but I feel that the 2.3/2.4 may get me closer to my goals of a potent street car that is great "all around" more easily. Obviously more displacement = more power, but are these goals that far off with a 2.0L build vs. a 2.3/2.4?

I'm ordering parts weekly and this week is my internal week. So any help or advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated. I renegotiated my weekly part allowance (LOL) so I'd like to have everything wrapped up this week besides the AEM EMS, Clutch and Trans/Diff.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know I'm new here, I'm not always the most knowledgeable when it comes to the Evo platform so I appreciate the ability to lean on you guys that have done it. So thank you in advance! I would rather ask here first than walk into English asking these questions and look like "that guy".. Even though I sort of am "that guy".. LOL
Old Jun 29, 2014, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are going with E85 most people go with the higher compression, 10:1 or 10.5:1. The higher compression works well with E85. On pump most people run lower compression so boost levels can be higher on pump gas.

Why not go AEM Infiniy ECU?

The 2.2 SLR motors are big right now.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I believe English recommends to run around a 9.0:1 ratio for cars that switch in between pump gas and e85. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/10212617-post6.html

I found a post by Buschur a few years ago which should be considered as well. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/7545495-post21.html

My plan for building my motor will be between 93 and e85, I am planning on a 9.0:1 Occasionally we have a few dry spells on the availability of e85 and don't want to be limited on the amount of boost in case e85 disappears completely.

Last edited by evo8426; Jun 29, 2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by michaelrc51
If you are going with E85 most people go with the higher compression, 10:1 or 10.5:1. The higher compression works well with E85. On pump most people run lower compression so boost levels can be higher on pump gas.

Why not go AEM Infiniy ECU?

The 2.2 SLR motors are big right now.

Does AEM have a PNP Infinity for the IX? I haven't read up too much about it to be honest, I saw the Flex capability of the S2 and I guess my mind made itself up right there. LOL

I'll also have to check into the 2.2 SLR. I honestly haven't heard much about those either. That could be because I'm still new or because I have ADHD, so I'll have to get back to you on that one..

But thank you for the input! I'll definitely read up on both of those!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo8426
I believe English recommends to run around a 9.0:1 ratio for cars that switch in between pump gas and e85. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/10212617-post6.html

I found a post by Buschur a few years ago which should be considered as well. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/7545495-post21.html

My plan for building my motor will be between 93 and e85, I am planning on a 9.0:1 Occasionally we have a few dry spells on the availability of e85 and don't want to be limited on the amount of boost in case e85 disappears completely.

Thanks Evo! That's actually exactly why I was thinking around 9.0-1, we have a consistent source of E85 but the gas stations are all about a 30min + drive from here. I suppose I could get a barrel and bring some home but then I would worry about moisture accumulation.

Did you have any luck with picking out a symmetric or asymmetric design? I haven't been able to find much information about that on true flex builds. There
has got to be a preferred design for that application..

I'll check out the links you posted! Thanks again!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aren't all wiseco pistons for these motors asymmetrical now? I've got a 2.4 long rod at ~10.6:1 and I could only see 18# on california 91. My bottom end is very similar to what you described.
Side note: If you do 2.4 you may want to consider having piston oil squirters machined in as the 4g64 blocks don't have them. Just another expense..
Old Jun 29, 2014, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by .DoT.
Does AEM have a PNP Infinity for the IX? I haven't read up too much about it to be honest, I saw the Flex capability of the S2 and I guess my mind made itself up right there. LOL

I'll also have to check into the 2.2 SLR. I honestly haven't heard much about those either. That could be because I'm still new or because I have ADHD, so I'll have to get back to you on that one..

But thank you for the input! I'll definitely read up on both of those!

No PnP harness yet, don't let that scare you away....
Infinity has flex fuel capabilities ad much more. Also, I have an Infinity -10 for sale!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is stronger, rods I beam or H ?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I beam is stronger, there are a select few companies that have really strong H beams such as Carillo

Last edited by evo8426; Jun 29, 2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Those 2.2SLR's look awesome! Is there any extra machine work besides the standard machining required to build a 2.2? Or is it all in the 93mm crank and 150mm rods?

And he is correct, I-Beams are much stronger. I was checking out the 300M's from Manley and another set from company that starts with a "G" but I'm a little iffy on the Al. rods..

As for the Asymmetrical question, I'm not sure, I just noticed many companies offered choices between Asym and Sym. so I figured I'd ask the question. I do plan on running a 8.5/9.0-1 piston though, so I'll have to do some more digging to see what the real benefits are.

Thanks for all of the good comments though!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Those 2.2SLR's look awesome! Is there any extra machine work besides the standard machining required to build a 2.2? Or is it all in the 93mm crank and 150mm rods?

And he is correct, I-Beams are much stronger. I was checking out the 300M's from Manley and another set from company that starts with a "G" but I'm a little iffy on the Al. rods..

As for the Asymmetrical question, I'm not sure, I just noticed many companies offered choices between Asym and Sym. so I figured I'd ask the question. I do plan on running a 8.5/9.0-1 piston though, so I'll have to do some more digging to see what the real benefits are.

Thanks for all of the good comments though!
It's a 94mm crank and 153mm rods. Other than the standard machining, no you don't need anything else.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Ha! I was a little off there huh?

I'm going to check this route out for sure! It'll be interesting to see if they are experiencing any specific issues with them? Or if there are any added benefits of reliability of a 2.2 over say a 2.3 or 2.4?

If I find any good write ups I'll link them! Thanks again guys!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Ha! I was a little off there huh?

I'm going to check this route out for sure! It'll be interesting to see if they are experiencing any specific issues with them? Or if there are any added benefits of reliability of a 2.2 over say a 2.3 or 2.4?

If I find any good write ups I'll link them! Thanks again guys!
There are no benefits in reliability, it's all in the owners hands how reliable an engine will turn out to be lol.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

The more I read into it and the more shops that I talk to it seems like the stroker motor is much more prevalent on the west coast than on the east coast..

I'm still checking out the 2.2SLR but the Buscher 2.0L Short Block is looking mighty easy.. LOL

Another concern is the machine shops ability to assemble the motor correctly, so maybe the BR SB is the way to go over all.. Anyone have any experience with those?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

The more I read into it and the more shops that I talk to it seems like the stroker motor is much more prevalent on the west coast than on the east coast..

I'm still checking out the 2.2SLR but the Buscher 2.0L Short Block is looking mighty easy.. LOL

Another concern is the machine shops ability to assemble the motor correctly, so maybe the BR SB is the way to go over all.. Anyone have any experience with those?
I will venture and say that 99% of those who have a Buschur short block or long block are very pleased. The other 1% have had bad tuners and blame it on Buschur.

Quick Reply: Build help questions (yes I've searched :P)