Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

transfer case leak?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
transfer case leak?

hey guys I recently got an evo 8 and I had to remove the transmission/tcase/driveshaft etc...well I installed everything and car ran for about a week...had to put it back on jackstands for another issue and has been on jackstands again for about 3 days...today while under there I noticed fluid leaking from where transfer case and driveshaft meet...could I have damaged the seal when I installed everything? could it be from being on jackstands so long? is it possible it'll leak because of overfilling tcase? how hard is it to replace the seal in there and is there a how to? please help guys I have to use the car...
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a friend with the same problem that overfill the transfercase and he drain until the line of max and went away you cant overfill the transfercase is like a baby went you give them to much food. Sorry to use this as a example.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

are you saying that after he drained it to the correct level it stopped leaking where tcase and driveshaft meet?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Follow either of these guides and you'll be fine.

There is always some debate as to which method is more correct, but both methods will work just fine as long as they're done correctly.

http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tPath=2&tech_id=25

http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pages/t-case-filling
Old Jul 3, 2014, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

i tried to fill it through the drain plug but for the life of me i could not find a fitting that size to fit in there...i went everywhere...so i had to do it through the fill hole...after i got maybe .20 of fluid in there that thing started spewing out...i waited half an hour and when i pulled the fill plug again it was still coming out...i mean, this was after removing the tcase from the car...i even pulled the drain plug and picked it up outside the car turning it in every direction to make sure it would drain as much as possible so it should have taken more than that...what i did was raise the car on the passenger side so it would take more fluid and still it would spew out...maybe i overfilled to crap out of it idk...now i just know its leaking out of the seal where the drive shaft goes...i ordered 2 seals and they should be here monday...ordered an extra one just in case lol...my question is, do you guys think that if i put the car on a level surface and pull the drain plug getting the fluid to the correct level would it be possible for the leak to stop because now its not overfilled or once it leaks thats it the seal is done and has to be changed?