Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bell Housing/Clutch Noise

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014 | 08:09 AM

Bell Housing/Clutch Noise

Hello all, like the title states, I am in the middle of diagnosing a noise(s) in my 03 WW Evo8. I purchased the car late last year and the noises were minimal but recently have seemed to increase in magnitude.

Overall the car has a stock block, turbo, and trans with some minor bolt-ons including HKS 272 cams. It dyno'd 370hp/396tq at SlowMotion on E85. It currently has an ACT2600 with Street disc and a Fidanza Flywheel with the factory retainer assembly. This combo has about 16k miles on it (between 3 owners).

The noise(s) are as follows:

A rattle type noise - this noise occurs at all operating conditions. The significant details are that this noise occurs easily at idle and with the clutch engaged or disengaged makes no difference. While the clutch is disengaged, I can put the trans into gear and the rattle still exists. In addition to these observations, a stethoscope reveals the noise is loudest while listening against the release fork.
On a side note, the clutch engagement point is extremely high on the pedal, haven't adjusted it yet.

A deep thump/chatter noise - this noise has occured noticeably in the last few days. This noise most often occurs during slipping of the clutch (as if starting off from a light) but is also noticeable with the clutch engaged, trans in neutral, and braking to a stop. The two conditions here do have some disimilarities in the noise so could potentially be seperate issues.

Let me know your thoughts and experiences. I have done a ton of researching on here and other sites but wanting a direct conversation now to try and pinpoint this. I am currently shopping around for new clutches and want to know what else to look for either before doing the clutch swap or while the trans is out. I have heard that there are issues with the release fork/cross-shaft, could someone enlighten on this as well?

Thanks for all the input in advance!

Last edited by AETuned; Jul 7, 2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2014 | 07:35 AM

Bump
Old Jul 9, 2014 | 12:52 PM

Got some time set aside tonight to work on the car. I will post up any new findings and/or results in the morning.

No feedback or ideas on this subject from anyone!?
Old Jul 14, 2014 | 04:14 AM

For those following this thread, I performed some work this weekend on the car and made slight progress. The 1st complaint noise I mentioned, the rattle, is still there after adjusting the clutch. I am 99.9% sure that the release bearing is the problem there. As for the second noise, deep inspection found the front tie brace making significant contact with the 3" exhaust. After a couple different stack-ups of washers and some bolt length changes, that noise seems to be taken care of at the moment.

I would say thanks for the help but this journey so far has been lacking. If anyone has experience similar noises please post up and lets converse.
Old Jul 14, 2014 | 05:14 AM

I think a video might help narrow it down for some people.
Old Jul 15, 2014 | 03:49 AM

I will try to put one together of the rattle noise.
Old Jul 15, 2014 | 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

I also used some coolant hose cut in half and put it on the cross brace in between the exhaust, that helped.

The throw out bearing is puzzling though. If the clutch was replaced, and they didn't put those little felt bushings in between the fork spring and the clutch fork, this might be that noise. But it doesn't seem like you could here it over the rest of the drive train.

Do you have after market motor mounts that allow every sound and vibration to travel through or something?
Old Jul 15, 2014 | 07:17 PM

I had this kind of noise on my eclipse (with a ACT 2100)

It came from the clutch disc, the spring in the center of the disc were crushed and there was a loose in the disc.

With the vibration and the rotation, it made a rattle noise.
Old Jul 16, 2014 | 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by cwyteboi
I also used some coolant hose cut in half and put it on the cross brace in between the exhaust, that helped.

The throw out bearing is puzzling though. If the clutch was replaced, and they didn't put those little felt bushings in between the fork spring and the clutch fork, this might be that noise. But it doesn't seem like you could here it over the rest of the drive train.

Do you have after market motor mounts that allow every sound and vibration to travel through or something?
Wouldn't the downpipe get too hot for the rubber of the hose? Seems like eventually it would melt off. As for the motor mounts, they are still factory.
Old Jul 16, 2014 | 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AETuned
Wouldn't the downpipe get too hot for the rubber of the hose? Seems like eventually it would melt off. As for the motor mounts, they are still factory.
I would assume so, eventually. But I've had it like that for the past year and half and when I went to swap my clutch (two weeks ago), I didn't notice any damage other than an impression where the exhaust was sitting. I also have that brace shimmed as well, it's mainly so there is no metal to metal contact over bumps, railroad tracks and the like.

Last edited by cwyteboi; Jul 16, 2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: addition
Old Jul 17, 2014 | 03:50 AM

Hmm, may throw one on and see how it does. Thanks for the input!