Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Calling all EXEDY twin owners/ Past and Present

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Calling all EXEDY twin owners/ Past and Present

Who has, or has had an exedy twin in their EVO? who has rebuilt it? How many miles until the flywheel, clutch cover, pressure plate stopped working? I rebuilt mine and the dam thing will not disengage far enough for smooth shifting. I have had it out twice this round and confirmed that the wave clip is intact, and everything is bled and assembled correctly. With the adjustment rod fully extended it works, but not how it is supposed to. Any thoughts? thanks guys
Old Jul 9, 2014, 08:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
what did you replace when you rebuilt it?

Did you get the flywheel resurfaced?

I removed my exedy hd twin, because i warped my intermediate plate.

in order for me to get it to engage from a standstill, i too had to fully extend the clutch rod.

it came to a point, where i had to turn my car off at a stop light, to get into 1st gear or keep the clutch pressed for minutes at a time.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

ok mine is engaging about the same. I don't have to turn it off at a light, but for the sake of my poor syncros', I might as well. I replaced the two clutch discs, intermediate plate, TOB, and wave clip. The Flywheel was resurfaced once in the past, very very minimal amount. Clutch rod is also adjusted all the way out, with pedal engagement almost immediately off the floor. Definitely, NOT the way it is supposed to operate.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Did you remove the same thickness of material on the flywheel surface as the surface of the "posts" (where the pressure plate is bolted to) ?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Yea. The flywheel was cut and so were the castles, making it within spec but milled accordingly.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you say intermediate plate was it the thicker of the two?

The most common one to warp is the very first one which has the taper to it (whether a twin or triple plate) because it is so thin. That front plate is often overlooked during rebuilds and can cause havoc to syncros. I had a fresh built Shep trans basically ruined because a shop didn't replace that front plate when I converted from a twin to triple many years ago.

Whenever rebuilding with new disks I always get the front plate also its not very expensive and after discussing with Shep its almost always warped to some degree by time a rebuild is necessary.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first exedy twin I put nearly 60k miles on it. I just rebuilt it and its working fine. Flywheel resurfaced and everything except the pressure plate was replaced. The one thing I did do is polish the sides of the flywheel posts (where the plates slide). I forget where I saw this but it did seem to make a difference.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PAdutch
My first exedy twin I put nearly 60k miles on it. I just rebuilt it and its working fine. Flywheel resurfaced and everything except the pressure plate was replaced. The one thing I did do is polish the sides of the flywheel posts (where the plates slide). I forget where I saw this but it did seem to make a difference.
http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pa...clutch-warning

Old Jul 10, 2014, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

From TRE: DO NOT LET THE TRANSMISSION HANG BY THE INPUT SHAFT. This will warp the clutch disc and cause the disc to drag on the pressure plate & flywheel which will make the transmission block shifts. This is extremely common among the EVOs because the trans is heavy.

If this happens, it can warp the first plate causing drag.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
20-30k to date on Exedy twin SD, no issues yet. I like.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry for the mini thread jack but one of them comments reminded me of something I was told. Should I take the car out of gear and let out the clutch when I'm waiting at the lights? The PO told me it was a good habit to get into but I wasn't sure if it made any difference.

Thanks
Old Jul 10, 2014, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im in the middle of an issue with exedy and first let me say that dealing with exedy had been the biggest pain in my ***. I know they are a big company but the techs are horrible with returning phone calls and emails.

So i had a twin that i decided to convert to a triple. I also got a bran new SD cover because the triple sd can hold a lot of TQ. So with the conversion i had a new cover and all new plates and disk's, only old was pressure plate and flywheel. I installed it and when i went to put it into gear it wouldn't go in with my foot to the floor. Bleed the lines check the slave, everything was working. So the flywheel and PP in the conversion came from my perfectly working twin. I decided to pull the tranny out and send it to exedy. 4 weeks later they told me a need a new pressure plate. I now had everything new for the triple besides the flywheel. I again installed clutch and now it engages. It engages 1'' off the floor though.

I called exedy and they told me my flywheel was perfectly fine so they then instructed me to replace my entire clutch line assembly, which i did. That did nothing for me still the car engaged 1'' off the floor. i pulled the tranny for a 4th time and just bought a bran new exedy twin and now it runs perfect, my triple is still at exedy going on the 5th week and 10 calls and emails later i still don't have it back and havent gotten a single response from exedy.

Long story short replacing parts on these clutches are risky. almost better off buying bran new to avoid having to remove the tranny a tone of times. i am just sick of dealing with exedy at this moment.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by D1andonlyantman
Sorry for the mini thread jack but one of them comments reminded me of something I was told. Should I take the car out of gear and let out the clutch when I'm waiting at the lights? The PO told me it was a good habit to get into but I wasn't sure if it made any difference.

Thanks
Yea it's a good idea to wait in neutral. Undue stress on the TOB being clutched in for no reason.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silver9mr
Im in the middle of an issue with exedy and first let me say that dealing with exedy had been the biggest pain in my ***. I know they are a big company but the techs are horrible with returning phone calls and emails.

So i had a twin that i decided to convert to a triple. I also got a bran new SD cover because the triple sd can hold a lot of TQ. So with the conversion i had a new cover and all new plates and disk's, only old was pressure plate and flywheel. I installed it and when i went to put it into gear it wouldn't go in with my foot to the floor. Bleed the lines check the slave, everything was working. So the flywheel and PP in the conversion came from my perfectly working twin. I decided to pull the tranny out and send it to exedy. 4 weeks later they told me a need a new pressure plate. I now had everything new for the triple besides the flywheel. I again installed clutch and now it engages. It engages 1'' off the floor though.

I called exedy and they told me my flywheel was perfectly fine so they then instructed me to replace my entire clutch line assembly, which i did. That did nothing for me still the car engaged 1'' off the floor. i pulled the tranny for a 4th time and just bought a bran new exedy twin and now it runs perfect, my triple is still at exedy going on the 5th week and 10 calls and emails later i still don't have it back and havent gotten a single response from exedy.

Long story short replacing parts on these clutches are risky. almost better off buying bran new to avoid having to remove the tranny a tone of times. i am just sick of dealing with exedy at this moment.
I haven't dealt with then in a while. WHEN I got a tech on the horn, he was helpfull. However, this time around I called nothing short of 11 times through out the day and couldn't even get a human on the phone. At this point, I'm likely to rip it out and either sell the entire setup or part out the brand new clutch discs and intermediate plate TOB AND WAVE clip. Adam at MAP is pushing me for the quartermaster 8 leg street...
Old Jul 11, 2014, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

I had the same exact issue and my solution was like others, polish the basket and replaced the pivot ring:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...y-twin-hd.html

Before this, the car had to be moving in order to get it in gear or I had to turn off my car, put it in gear then start and go. Was a huge pain.

Quick Reply: Calling all EXEDY twin owners/ Past and Present