Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need another 70whp.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need another 70whp.

Hi guys,

the car is an 05 evo 9 and current mods are:

-full tbe
-greddy 264/264 cams
-fuel pressure regulator
-apexi afc neo

On dynojet its producing 328.79whp and 303 ft lbs wtq at 1.5 bar on Ron97 pump gas.

The car is daily driven and goes to the track occasionally. I need another 70whp or to hit my 400whp goal. So what would be the most sensible and economical way to get that extra 70whp?

If i upgrade the turbo, I'm looking at the gtx3071r stock location. is this the best turbo for the job if spool must be as early as stock?
note: Where i live, FP turbos and E85 are not available or sold. (at the same time upgrading the injectors and fuel pump).

another candidate and relatively cheaper is MHI td06 20g, but would it spool quick enough?

How about the electronic bits, is the afc neo adequate? or i need a ecu flash or standalone?

Please do comment and share your experiences and help me to get another 70 ish wild horses. Im new to force induction and evo platform. :thumb up:
Old Jul 11, 2014, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 is a Evo 8. If you wanna make some better power get some bigger cams for sure. Go ahead and upgrade the springs and retainers in the head and throw in some S2,s, a good intake, intake manifold...maybe a rev2, or rev3. Port the exhaust manifold and get a good upgraded 02 housing. Alot of the guys that are making over 400 hp on the stock 8 turbo are running Ethanol.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 04:59 PM

Thanks for the quick reply bro

my car is a jdm evo 9. We don't have ethanol fuel here. Just pump gas.

like i mentioned i want to stick to pump gas, Ron97. Increasing the usable rpm is one possible option, that i didnt really thought of.

So by changing the valve springs and retainers and also fitting higher duration cams ill get

More hp on top(on pump gas)

but ill sacrifice low end power? and idle won't be smooth?

The car is daily driven around town, would this mod take away the drivability?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
S2's aren't bad at all. A little torque lost down low, barely any and solid up top gains . Cams and a fp 71 hta. Very effective response. And driving with this combo
Old Jul 11, 2014, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
S2's aren't bad at all. A little torque lost down low, barely any and solid up top gains . Cams and a fp 71 hta. Very effective response. And driving with this combo

Agreed, S2's would be a great way to pick up some power! Like before porting the intake mani and exhaust mani will def help as well.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Get kelford they make more power period. Vendors have marketed gsc because they have better profit margin but arent bad cams kelford are better though. However if its gsc r2 but those beed retainer and spring...those cams aee nice

You are going to need methanol injection and lower intercooler pipe.

You also might want to crush an oem e9 bov.

Fmic ets/buschur/muse will allow a littlr more timing

Preload waste gate actuator more too
Old Jul 11, 2014, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CT9A PR
Get kelford they make more power period. Vendors have marketed gsc because they have better profit margin but arent bad cams kelford are better though. However if its gsc r2 but those beed retainer and spring...those cams aee nice

You are going to need methanol injection and lower intercooler pipe.

You also might want to crush an oem e9 bov.

Fmic ets/buschur/muse will allow a littlr more timing

Preload waste gate actuator more too

I actually had Mivec Kelford 272's and sold them to another Evom member about 2 years ago, i bought the GSC S2's not only did i pick up a good amount of midrange power and torque i picked up about 500 RPMs more usable powerband on the top end and made more power.

I do agree tho in regard to a intercooler upgrade i didnt even think about that at the time.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

good intake ets, walbro 255, injectors, grimspeed 3 port, and intercooler and piping. Also parts is not expensive
Old Jul 12, 2014, 04:30 AM

appreciate all the replies.. {thumb up}

it seems that i don't really need to upgrade my evo 9 turbo to get another 70whp, or at least hitting near 400whp.

i guess with a more aggressive cams losing a bit of torque down under is not that bad since adding a bigger turbo would create a bit more lag too.

cost wise, a pair of cams are cheaper, but do i need to upgrade my springs/retainers for the kelford 272s( 11mm lift) and what is the max safe rpm on stock internals?
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mizzay
appreciate all the replies.. {thumb up}

it seems that i don't really need to upgrade my evo 9 turbo to get another 70whp, or at least hitting near 400whp.

i guess with a more aggressive cams losing a bit of torque down under is not that bad since adding a bigger turbo would create a bit more lag too.

cost wise, a pair of cams are cheaper, but do i need to upgrade my springs/retainers for the kelford 272s( 11mm lift) and what is the max safe rpm on stock internals?
Kel you can rev to 7500 RPM safely with no springs but on a 9 turbo I wouldnt go past 7250 eitherway.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:16 AM

brilliant, ill look into those gsc S2s and kels.

now i have to look at other things like ic pipings and head works.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Meth?
Old Jul 12, 2014, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

there is small things to make your goal
Old Jul 13, 2014, 07:24 AM

we don't have methanols around here, and i don't plan to run on race gas, just ron97.

how much more i would be making, going from 264 to 272s?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget a good tune! All will be wasted if you don't have a tune to pull out all that new power!

Quick Reply: Need another 70whp.