Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Advice needed on build

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice needed on build

So I am in the process of a minor build (6262, cams, twin disk) on my IX after the throwout bearing decided to grenade on me and giving me the excuse to take it all apart. I was about to start putting it all back together but one thing led to another and now I want to install rods and pistons to prevent one of them making their way through the block with the new setup. Just looking to make ~500-600hp/400-450tq but I guess I'm just taking precautions to keep my block whole.

However I was wondering if I should micro polish the crank and throw new main bearings in there, just don't know if it is absolutely necessary or if its just recommended. Would it be okay to just throw the rods and pistons in there on the crank as-is? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don't really have anything to pick the engine out with or a stand to throw it onto so I'd rather not have to buy one just for this. I figured I'd just take the rods and pistons out through the top of the engine.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jspecteggy
So I am in the process of a minor build (6262, cams, twin disk) on my IX after the throwout bearing decided to grenade on me and giving me the excuse to take it all apart. I was about to start putting it all back together but one thing led to another and now I want to install rods and pistons to prevent one of them making their way through the block with the new setup. Just looking to make ~500-600hp/400-450tq but I guess I'm just taking precautions to keep my block whole.

However I was wondering if I should micro polish the crank and throw new main bearings in there, just don't know if it is absolutely necessary or if its just recommended. Would it be okay to just throw the rods and pistons in there on the crank as-is? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don't really have anything to pick the engine out with or a stand to throw it onto so I'd rather not have to buy one just for this. I figured I'd just take the rods and pistons out through the top of the engine.
This must be the best excuse I've heard / read to date on why someone is building their engine.

How good was your engine before you took it apart? How many miles were on it?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Lol thanks man. I had the turbo and cams already and was just waiting to install both of them and this happened so I figured I'd just take advantage. The engine ran strong before the TOB issue. It was seeing ~380-400hp/~380tq on a VD. I think it'll be fine with the same bearings in there and no polish, I think I may just be getting too concerned for nothing. I'll still put rod bearings in I'm just not too sure about the polish and mains. *I think the car has ~80-90k on it now.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Lol thanks man. I had the turbo and cams already and was just waiting to install both of them and this happened so I figured I'd just take advantage. The engine ran strong before the TOB issue. It was seeing ~380-400hp/~380tq on a VD. I think it'll be fine with the same bearings in there and no polish, I think I may just be getting too concerned for nothing. I'll still put rod bearings in I'm just not too sure about the polish and mains. *I think the car has ~80-90k on it now.
It certainly won't hurt having it turned and polished. With 90k miles on the clock it's bound to have some wear, I would change the mains, though I have seen some shops keep the used bearings and all was well.

Depends how bad your OCD kicks in I guess lol
Old Aug 1, 2014, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Yea I think I might just polish it, with 90k on it I think it's just a safer bet...I like how little interest there is in this but everybody will dive right into and kill to comment on a "what's the best intake" thread lol...
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:36 AM

Think of it this way, you could get away with not cleaning the crank and leaving the bearings the way they are and cross your fingers they hold up. Or you could spend a little more and have the piece of mind knowing that everything is going to be okay. To me, I would rather pay the extra and have insurance since you are going to be putting in new pistons and rods.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Yea I think I might just polish it, with 90k on it I think it's just a safer bet...I like how little interest there is in this but everybody will dive right into and kill to comment on a "what's the best intake" thread lol...
That's because you actually need SOME knowledge to answer your question. The intake thread just needs an opinion... I sense hatred in the future...
Old Aug 1, 2014, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AWD_Launch
Think of it this way, you could get away with not cleaning the crank and leaving the bearings the way they are and cross your fingers they hold up. Or you could spend a little more and have the piece of mind knowing that everything is going to be okay. To me, I would rather pay the extra and have insurance since you are going to be putting in new pistons and rods.
Yea I'm just gonna go ahead and do it. I was just wondering if it'd be fine since the 4G cranks are pretty stout from factory, better than a lot of others I've seen.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 06:10 AM

Would recommend just doing it all just so you know it can handle the power instead of hoping it does. And it'll good if you decide to maybe go a few extra hp over your intended 500-600.