Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

which clutch and flywheel should i get that can handle 300+ whps?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2014, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy which clutch and flywheel should i get that can handle 300+ whps?

Ok so after about 45k miles my ACT stage 3...i think, could be a stage 2 finally wore out. i'm pretty sure it was able to hold 400 whps. I hated the clutch!!! The peddle was really heavy and the 6 pucks chattered a lot and it was hard to get a launch. I am putting down 300 whps and 300 torque. I daily drive my evo 9 so I'm looking for the lightest peddle i can get but will still hold the power. I don't drag race but a few times a year i will autocross or go to a road course and get a few laps in. I thought the ACT clutch would last much longer! I don't plan on adding whps but maybe something little. I like the stock turbo so much, just how fast it spools up...i'm not gonna get a larger one. So please i would love to hear from you guys on which clutch to get. I herd good things with Exedy...possibly their twin disk? Sorry it's been a long time since I've looked into performance parts for evos since I haven't added any mods. Thanks for taking the time reading this. I need opinions and where to order from also....since i daily my evo...down time isn't an option so looking to order the clutch possibly later today. My evo barley moves unless i rev it all the way to 6k rpms!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Competition Clutch stage 2 with a stock resurfaced flywheel. Had it on my last Evo and loved it. Will be using it again when time comes to swap my clutch.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly we're against resurfacing flywheels but we have had great luck with the Comp stage 3 with the lightweight flywheel. I personally run a stage 4 6puck sprung with the comp flywheel and love it. I have put over 20k on it and it holds wonderfully. I came from running twin discs so the chatter isn't an issue for me, anything was better than those on a daily.

-Jason
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kaizen Tuning
Honestly we're against resurfacing flywheels but we have had great luck with the Comp stage 3 with the lightweight flywheel. I personally run a stage 4 6puck sprung with the comp flywheel and love it. I have put over 20k on it and it holds wonderfully. I came from running twin discs so the chatter isn't an issue for me, anything was better than those on a daily.

-Jason
Are you saying twin discs chatter more then the single 6 puck sprung? I thought they wouldn't chatter as much cause there are two discs that grab the flywheel instead of just one? And are twin discs more expensive? Do they last longer? I have zero experience using a twin disc so any info will be really helpful, thanks again guys!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes twins chatter. Also isn't what you're looking for for your power level. I have the Exedy stage 1 HD and love it. Pedal is heavier than stock but it's very smooth, driving it in traffic hasn't been a problem for me.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With 300hp/300tq and being a daily.....you could use an ACT HDSS w/oem throwout bearing, ^+1 - Exedy Stage 1 HD, Comp Stage 2, etc...

I have the ACT HDSS with oem flywheel. Slightly heavier than stock pedal feel and holds up to 420 ft/lbs. I have over 100K on it now....will be replaced with the same or a Competition Stage 2 when needed.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raptord
Yes twins chatter. Also isn't what you're looking for for your power level. I have the Exedy stage 1 HD and love it. Pedal is heavier than stock but it's very smooth, driving it in traffic hasn't been a problem for me.
How much power are you putting down and how much can your clutch handle? I assume any aftermarket clutch is going to have heavier pedal then the stock one so it can handle the extra whps. What does HD mean? Does it have an "organic" disc like the stock disc or is it a puck style disc. I'll google image some evo clutches.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
comp stage 2 and keep oem flywheel but surface it
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Southbend Clutch
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by speedfreak24
How much power are you putting down and how much can your clutch handle? I assume any aftermarket clutch is going to have heavier pedal then the stock one so it can handle the extra whps. What does HD mean? Does it have an "organic" disc like the stock disc or is it a puck style disc. I'll google image some evo clutches.
I'm putting down between 350-370 wtq. The HD stands for heavy-duty, and is rated at 402wtq. She SD (standard duty) is rated at 339 wtq, and I imagine would have a pedal weight somewhere in between stock clutch and it's HD sibling. If you're staying around the 300/300 power level and don't do drag racing, the SD might be something for you to consider to keep a lighter pedal weight. And yes it's an organic disk.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:06 PM

I have a little over 400whp in mine and the Exedy twin disc works like a charm. No issues with daily driving it on that clutch either.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by F3nom3ni
I have a little over 400whp in mine and the Exedy twin disc works like a charm. No issues with daily driving it on that clutch either.
I've driven other people's evos with twins and really didn't like them. Way too much of an on/off switch, I don't understand how people say it's "near stock" or "fine in traffic".
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Ok so I'm leaning toward an exedy stage 1 SD since I don't plan on adding anymore power and from what you guys are saying, it will have a lighter pedal feel like the stock clutch but it will hold the 300 wtq that my evo making. All I need now is a good website to order it from?

WHERE CAN I ORDER EXEDY OR ACT OR COMP CLUTCHES FROM? GOOD PRICES AND QUICK SHIPPING?

Thank you guys for all the help!!!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 01:26 PM

Competition Clutch Stage 2 or Stage 3... I personally purchased an ACT MB7HDSS... hated it, was entirely too bitey. I've had a Competition Stage 3 ever since (about 35k miles now) and love it.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 01:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Pm Sent! We stock many different brands of clutches and offer professional advice, along with great pricing.

Thanks
-Ethan
www.stmtuned.com

Quick Reply: which clutch and flywheel should i get that can handle 300+ whps?