Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Pics of Reworked EVO 8 head

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2004, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sooo how much would it cost if I wanted my evo head reworkeD?
Old Mar 12, 2004, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by Lowness
Old Mar 12, 2004, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

I really can't tell right now. I am still trying to set up to get myself to be able to do this in an efficient manner. Problem is that no two heads are the same, and they all seem to need more work than you would originally expect. I have seen a number of these heads that are coming from the factory with areas of the heads welded, seats in crooked, cams binding, etc. So there is no way I can effectively answer that question right now. I just take each job as it comes and see where it leads and what it takes to get it right.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Beautiful work of art. Thanks for the update. I'd like to see what you've accomplished with the bottom end whenever you're done.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 05:40 PM
Account Disabled

Very poor castings.Looks like some hp easily made around the seat to casting area just with a little clean-up work.BTW,nice job!
Old Mar 12, 2004, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do we have to bring the head to you?..or do we bring the car to you and you guys take off the head?
Old Mar 12, 2004, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Christian , whose head is this ? DAMN ...
Old Mar 12, 2004, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

I think every1 knows that each head witll require more or less work.
Ballpark figures within 200 bucks can ya give us?
Old Mar 12, 2004, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

I just changed my mind about changing the headstuds... No way I am changing them myself...

sounds like a pretty difficult job..
Old Mar 12, 2004, 09:58 PM

It would be nice to see some flow bench comparisons between stock and ported.
Old Mar 13, 2004, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Ferrarokid/ Tommy brought the head here from Ct for me to do. It was a car that was brought to him that had a problem originating in the cylinder head. We assesed the head and found that the cam to housing clearance was very over any reasonable spec. So I clipped the cam caps and re honed the housings back to size. But while the head was off, the owner decided to have the head modified. So I ported & polished the intake and exhaust ports, the manifolds, polished the combustion chambers and deburred the head, replaced the valve guides and honed them to size, ground the valves and did a valve job.

Flow benches are nice, but with so many variables I would rather see the results of the performance on the car. That is not to say that we do not have access to one, but you cannot go solely on flow bench numbers- they are not gospel.

If your interested, contact Tommy he works on these cars, I just do machinining and engine building.
Old Mar 13, 2004, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

putting bigger valves in also? 1mm over stock or staying with stock
Old Mar 15, 2004, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

No, this head kept the stock valve sizing. I have another head for an EVO I am doing that will be getting similar mods, along with larger valves.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by darkhorse
Ferrarokid/ Tommy brought the head here from Ct for me to do. It was a car that was brought to him that had a problem originating in the cylinder head. We assesed the head and found that the cam to housing clearance was very over any reasonable spec. So I clipped the cam caps and re honed the housings back to size. But while the head was off, the owner decided to have the head modified. So I ported & polished the intake and exhaust ports, the manifolds, polished the combustion chambers and deburred the head, replaced the valve guides and honed them to size, ground the valves and did a valve job.

Flow benches are nice, but with so many variables I would rather see the results of the performance on the car. That is not to say that we do not have access to one, but you cannot go solely on flow bench numbers- they are not gospel.

If your interested, contact Tommy he works on these cars, I just do machinining and engine building.
he doent post that much on these boards anymore? Does anyone know how to reach him?
Old Mar 15, 2004, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

I know keeping velocity up is very important with turbocharged cars. Are you ensuring that the velocity of the airflow is kept up?