Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Pics of Reworked EVO 8 head

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2004, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats the average turnaround time on a project like this?
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

We had an Evo-NY meet at Christian (Garibaldi Imagineering/ Darkhorse) shop back in November. They do excellent job there and they have amazing projects. Their shop is not far at all.... I hope we have another meet there

Well _______ blank (cant say who), you know you have to give me a ride of your car at our Evo-NY meet @ Tobay Beach Fest on March 28th

Joel
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

The average turn around time is roughly 1 to 2 weeks. The hand work is what is time consuming, then there is the R&R of guides, honing them to size, doing a valve job and cutting the head, etc.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

1 to 2 weeks huh. I'll be contacting you guys in the spring/summer. I've heard in upwards of 40whp and a 9k redline from a job like this.

~Hooptie~

Last edited by Hooptie157; Mar 16, 2004 at 12:09 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

That depends. Power gains, yes, how much- depend on more variable than just porting. Raising the redline, well that gets accomplished through lighter valve train, higher spring pressures, lighter rotating and reciprocating assemblies etc.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Here is one more shot
Attached Thumbnails Pics of Reworked EVO 8 head-evoheadlongshot.jpg  
Old Mar 18, 2004, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by darkhorse
Lang, we also spend a lot of time cooking food.
Bwhahahaha.....thats funny cuz everytime Ive been to your shop, I always see someone eating or cooking.

Great work Christian. Btw, this is Kenny with the white EVO from NY. I met you @ Ave P, and been to your shop a few times. Also, my bros focus was @ your shop for a bit.

Ken
Old Mar 18, 2004, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Hey, we all need to eat.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Not to be a jerk or anything. But replacing guides on evo8 head???? I hope your kidding.

Non of these cars have enough miles on them to warrent that. Not to mension when you do have to replace the guide they dont go in perfectly straight. So you have to cut the seat to regain concentricity. By doing so you have lowered the valve in the chamber and lost some spring tension. And will all the new spring heightys be equal??? ETC. I could go on but I hope everone is getting the picture.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 05:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Is it just me, or are pictures like this Motorhead ****?? hehe, I REALLY need to give Darkhorse a call and get a quote on a head buildup, what is a complete job like that typically cost anyway?
Old Mar 18, 2004, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Is it just me, or are pictures like this Motorhead ****??

Hahaha... nice choice of words!

I would be interested in this too... somehow, knowing that everything is within perfect spec gives you a peace of mind.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

9 awd- good observation, and you are correct, this head did not have the guides replaced becasue they were worn out. You are probably right, none of these cars have enough mileage on them to warrant guide replacement due to extreme wear.

The reason the guides were replaced was because I had to rework the ports for the porting and polishing. It is just a pain to try and work around an installed guide, since the porting is done by hand, its tough to stay clear of the guide, and it really hampers ones ability to get down and do the required work where it is needed most, in the valve bowl- which is where the guide protrudes smack in the middle of. It would be tough not to nick and beat up the guides while trying to work around them, and the time and cost you save by not removing them isnt woth it to just push them out, install the new ones and hone them to size.

Your other point is true, installing guides- they never go back in exactly the same, so anytime guides are replaced, you have to recut or grind the seats to regain seat to guide concentricity. That is why I had to do a valve job after that. Truth is though, that there usually is not that much that has to be done in valve seat work to get the concentricity to come back in- so maybe you sink the valve further down in the seat by a few thousandths or so if the guides are installed properly. That few thousandths has a minimal effect on valve spring pressure and installed height, after all we are talking about sinking them the thickness of a human hair on average.

This also allows me to control and set an equalized seat depth across the board on the head- so at least the valve set is all the same. Since again, and I am not saying that these motors suck, so keep your pants on, they aren't perfect from the factory. DOing a valve job also tighens up the top end and renews it since the seats, valve faces and guides are all back to new and sized and set properly.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Christian should be paid for his technical muble jumble...heheheh. Your posts are too techincal for me.

BTW, are you coming to Tobay?
Old Mar 19, 2004, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 94AWDcoupe
Not to be a jerk or anything. But replacing guides on evo8 head???? I hope your kidding.

Non of these cars have enough miles on them to warrent that. Not to mension when you do have to replace the guide they dont go in perfectly straight. So you have to cut the seat to regain concentricity. By doing so you have lowered the valve in the chamber and lost some spring tension. And will all the new spring heightys be equal??? ETC. I could go on but I hope everone is getting the picture.
If you are really that concerned on spring rates you should check the installed height/rate of each spring and shim accordingly. Only way to be sure all installed rates are the same. It is a pain but on big cam motors you want the seat rates right on.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks, yes I will probably go the tobay meet, but I will stick out like a sore thumb if I show up in the german mad max mobile. Cant park the Porsche near al lthe EVOs, I feel like I ruin the flow and the photo opportunities for you guys, you guys always have all your cars lined up and color coordinated when I have been to these things.