Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Pictures of Engine Block w/107k miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pictures of Engine Block w/107k miles

Hi I was just hoping to get a few people's opinion on the state of my engine block. It's an 06 with 107K miles on it. Took the head off to replace the head gasket while doing a clutch job.

I've read here that the wear pattern is normal on the cylinder wall. With that discoloration at 12 o'clock.

Just looking for any gross and obvious - wow that's really bad for the following reasons you should get that professionally looked at or it's looks normal for a 4g63 with 107k miles nothing to work about with a stock turbo setup. I'd like to get away with keeping the block in the car and not having to take it out to have it inspected. This is a stock turbo car used for auto-x.

Pic #1 is with the head gasket still in place, Pic #3 is with the head gasket removed. I can take additional pictures but that's really all I've got at the moment. The under side of the head gasket looks very similar to Pic #3.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Pictures of Engine Block w/107k miles-engine-block-1.jpg   Pictures of Engine Block w/107k miles-engine-block-2.jpg   Pictures of Engine Block w/107k miles-engine-block-3.jpg   Pictures of Engine Block w/107k miles-engine-block-4.jpg  

Last edited by BoostNY; Sep 22, 2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Forgot K after 107, wish it only had 107 miles.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good to me, the brown stuff on the pistons however I have never seen.

Just clean up the pistons and top of the block. You can get some engine degreaser and carefully spray it on the pistons tops and let it sit. It will dissolve all of that crap.

Then clean with Brake Clean. After that dip a rag or your fingers in some fresh oil and coat the cylinder walls. You don't have to put much.

Also with the mileage you have I'd recommend having a machinist tear apart your head and put new valve stem seals. Since its off you might as well. Supertech makes good valve stem seals.

PM if you need more help
Old Sep 23, 2014, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
couldnt look any better.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Agreed, looks great.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:58 AM

The cross hatches are still there so it looks great, should have no issues.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

Sweet thanks guys for the responses. I'm planning on taking the cylinder head to a local machine shop. Have them check the flatness and I'll ask them about the valves & valve seals

Do you think that discoloration maybe be from coolant getting mixed into the combustion process? Just a wild *** guess. My car had a lot of coolant spray all over the upper intercooler piping and the overflow bottle would constantly need to be refilled.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostNY
Sweet thanks guys for the responses. I'm planning on taking the cylinder head to a local machine shop. Have them check the flatness and I'll ask them about the valves & valve seals

Do you think that discoloration maybe be from coolant getting mixed into the combustion process? Just a wild *** guess. My car had a lot of coolant spray all over the upper intercooler piping and the overflow bottle would constantly need to be refilled.
Yup that would be it!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

with the exception of the brown, looks just like mine at 125k. Funny we both did HG jobs after starting line school lol. And my buddy in his boosted TC that was there threw a rod a few weeks ago.

And the coolant that I saw on your piping is the same pattern as is discussed here.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ying-uicp.html

And from my experience and others in that thread, its from the turbo coolant lines. Although a leaky HG may cause more coolant pressure and that leak, replace the lines and the clamps with new while you have it apart.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah I guess 2 days of abuse were too much for the cars. haha Those events condensed 6-7 days worth of autocrossing into 2.

I just recently sent the transmission and transfer case to sheptrans to get rebuilt, basically as a preventative measure because they were off the car and I figured it would be a good idea. Sent the cylinder head to buschur to get stage 3 work. It will probably be awhile before I'm back working on the car unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure I've got all new hoses but I'll have to run through everything that was bought. Also the thermostat housing gasket appeared to have leaked as well. Some of it disintegrated it seemed when comparing it to the new one I bought.

Bought a Focus ST as a daily driver / backup autocross car. 5.5K off sticker figured it was a deal worth doing. Came with a free day at Ford's Octane Academy (pay your way there thou), I'm hoping to do that right before the '15 autocross season kicks off and the evo's ready to go then.

Not looking forward to re-installing the steering rack because I did not do a good job marking the center position (as in didn't).
Old Oct 17, 2014, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my block with 160k looked very similar to that, little less wear at the 12 o clock but it spent 140k at near stock power levels. all in all it looks good to me!