Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Whining During Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whining During Accelerating

The Evo has been whining during acceleration and cruising. This has been somewhat normal for a while now. Lately I have been noticing it more than usual thinking it is just in my head.

The other day I took the car to work and upon my return home I noticed there was a lot of oil all over my garage floor. Upon further inspection it looks to be coming from the drive shaft to transfer case tail shaft seal. It appears to be leaking a lot as the underside of the car is coated in oil now.

Hopefully the leak is a coincidence and the T-case is not damaged beings the whine was there prior to the leak. I have been listening to 'death whine' videos on youtube and it doesn't quite sound the same as most of them. I found one that sounds almost identical can you guys weigh in on this video is it death whine? Also I found a lot of people noting bad input shaft bearings could that be the cause? Thanks for the help guys.

Old Sep 29, 2014, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hard to tell if it is t-case whine. Do you have the FP 84mm flow advance port cover on your turbo? They usually make a whining noise on acceleration.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My rear diff was making that exact sound and at about those speeds as in the video. Check your fluid level and fluid condition. Also, check the drain plug magnets for excessive shavings. You really shouldnt have much on the magnet.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The turbo is more of a sucking/whistle sound, this is more of a whine. I have some updated information...not good information, it appears that my transmission fluid has been leaking into the transfer case. The transmission is dangerously low on fluid and the transfer case was over full. Looks like the transmission has been leaking into the t-case, over filling it and pushing it past the seal at the drive shaft.

Hopefully I caught this in time but most likely not with the whine, who knows how long the t-case was running with the transmission fluid mix.