Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shaft Play in BB turbos

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shaft Play in BB turbos

There is not much information out there comparing shaft play from a BB turbo to a JB turbo. I'm curious, will a BB turbo have more accepted shaft play than a journal bearing turbo?

I have a BB turbo that will remain unmentioned for now at least, it is one of the top performing turbos in this community. It has no issues as of now, although it does seem to have quite a bit of side to side and in and out shaft play. The turbo makes boost and doesnt smoke or anything weird so I will continue to run it till I notice something bad.

I only have about 60 miles on the turbo and I have not even been tuned so I have yet to make over 15psi. When the turbo was new out of the box, I made sure to prime the motor and pump the oil into the turbo prior to starting up the motor.

My question is do your BB turbos have play and if so is it normal?

Old Oct 5, 2014, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
yes they have play. would be alarming to some. but is normal. play in bb turbo is not as critical as journal bearing. journal bearing relies on a oil film layer for the shaft bearing to ride on. if that oil fill gets larger the film offers less support . with bb the bearings offer same support no matter what the play is. best to monitor closely every new turbo to be sure any play is not progressively getting worse.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
yes they have play. would be alarming to some. but is normal. play in bb turbo is not as critical as journal bearing. journal bearing relies on a oil film layer for the shaft bearing to ride on. if that oil fill gets larger the film offers less support . with bb the bearings offer same support no matter what the play is. best to monitor closely every new turbo to be sure any play is not progressively getting worse.
thank you! well its a PTE 6466 haha and I paid an arm and a leg for it so its like my baby and I dont want anything bad to happen. I know PTE has a bad reliability rep but honestly the turbo works fine, im just sketched out as the turbo had been sitting for a month and i presume all oil has drained out and there was some in and out and side to side play, not enough to contact the compressor housing but enough to feel.

I never let anyone play with my wheel as I am OCD and paranoid of someone being to rough on it, but I decided to randomly check for myself and I was shocked.

I still havent turned in my warranty card yet as I am not really driving the car at all (stilll revising the build)