Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GTX3076R 0.82a/r versus 0.63a/r

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by deeman101
You may want to downsize even further to something like a gtx3071r or stock location turbo. Both will get low to mid 400s on 94 pump easy with great spool for tight roads. Where exactly in BC do you live?

Another variable is your heads and cams. Are you going to build your head?
I live in Kelowna. Mid 400 is still a lot of fun... whole engine is built - head has GSC S2 MIVEC cams, Supertech valves and guides, GSC beehive springs, kiggly HLA...
Old Oct 23, 2014, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by doncarbone
I live in Kelowna. Mid 400 is still a lot of fun... whole engine is built - head has GSC S2 MIVEC cams, Supertech valves and guides, GSC beehive springs, kiggly HLA...

Is the heads ported? Well ported heads increase spool and give you more topend. And yea if you like launching out of corners go smaller turbo and aim for mid400s. If you like to do crazy pulls on the highway against other people or whatever then go 600whp. I personally find the rush of launching hard out of a corner more gratifying. Large turbos might look like they still preserve decent spool on a dyno graph but they still lack fine mid-corner half throttle control and torque delivery to make them really fun to rip around twisty roads.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by deeman101
Is the heads ported? Well ported heads increase spool and give you more topend. And yea if you like launching out of corners go smaller turbo and aim for mid400s. If you like to do crazy pulls on the highway against other people or whatever then go 600whp. I personally find the rush of launching hard out of a corner more gratifying. Large turbos might look like they still preserve decent spool on a dyno graph but they still lack fine mid-corner half throttle control and torque delivery to make them really fun to rip around twisty roads.
Head and intake are not ported. Head probably won't be. Might port/polish the intake manifold and run an aftermarket mil.spec TB though. Currently have a stock EVO 9 head, stock TB and stock intake manifold. Lots of times and many possibilities.

The 3576r might be a fine balance that will still be impressive on the high-way and fun on smaller windy roads... and this size turbo with the fuel options i have (short of producing my own ethanol which is something i'm going to seriously research) is far safer for the vehicle. High boost on a gtx30 is going to be risky on ****-octane fuel as i've unfortunately come to learn.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Exactly, the 30R (not 3576) in a 0.82 chokes and drops VE before the 0.63 35R turbine wheel. On a 30R the shift between a 0.82 and 0.63 was a few hundred rpm but to me the car didnt feel any different between shifts on the street.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-hta3076.html

We have tested the 3586 in 2 different T4 housings on a LR2.4 VIII (0.68 and 0.81) and so no spool difference but 70whp more out the top on the 0.81. Transient response didnt feel any different on the shifts in it either. Cold NW night on the road with 600+ ft lbs? Maybe that was why it felt better but to me it wasnt noticable enough to talk about a small housing.

All of our testing in the various high boost cars we do says that a small housing is never the answer, neither is a small turbine wheel. Running mismatched in favor of a larger turbine wheel with the appropriate housing is the best option. In single scroll this the TiAl V-band housing. In a twin scroll and 35R "class" nothing smaller than a 1.0 housing.
Aaron, that thread says a different answer though?

The smaller 0.63A/R housing cost him 11 WHP at 22 psi and he said it improved the overall performance of the car noticeably on the track. Shift response is a tricky metric as the turbo is already at high speed. Big heavy compressor wheels that have inertia to over power the tendency to slow down on shifts actually work great. GT4502s have good shift response when you shift quickly...haha. Now how a GT4502 would road race on the other hand...

On a 2.3L I suspect it would be a different result though. A friend use to have a GT3076R on a 2.3L and it had great torque but died up top. That was on the old FP30 housing that is something like a 0.72 A/R housing. You want to do all you can to improve exhaust flow on the GT30 setups with a larger displacement motor.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Oct 24, 2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Thaine is obviously more in tune with his car, so his opinion is the one that matters. I drive differently and keep the engine revved out and then ninja shift so maybe why I dont notice things as much. With the right twin scroll housing I think a 4505 or 4205 could be roadraced. That is what Rado was using at one point more or less.