Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Timing Belt Noise after Service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015 | 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Bump for any info on the noise (this is not the normal IX timing belt noise that is fixed with bracket)
Old Jul 1, 2015 | 12:37 AM

Seems to me like you've almost answered your question. Serpentine belt off, noise goes away - not a timing component issue. The easiest components to change on the serpentine system are the tensioner and idler pulley, so start with those. You may be able to figure out if the bearings have **** the bed just by spinning the pulleys with the belt off.
Old Oct 5, 2020 | 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

any solution to this noise.?
Old Oct 6, 2020 | 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spoolin4g63
any solution to this noise.?
Be specific about the type of noise you are hearing. If it sounds like a loud clacking noise coming from the passenger side of the motor I would say timing belt tensioner is shot. Mine sounded like the MIVEC gear was making racket, but it was the timing belt tensioner. If you are hearing a squealing/grinding type noise then I would check your idler pulleys. I had the front idler pulley die and it sounded like the power steering pump was taking a dump, but I put a screwdriver on the pulley bolt and could hear the noise transfer through the screwdriver. Autozone actually sells the front idler pulley for cheap.
Old Oct 10, 2020 | 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
Be specific about the type of noise you are hearing. If it sounds like a loud clacking noise coming from the passenger side of the motor I would say timing belt tensioner is shot. Mine sounded like the MIVEC gear was making racket, but it was the timing belt tensioner. If you are hearing a squealing/grinding type noise then I would check your idler pulleys. I had the front idler pulley die and it sounded like the power steering pump was taking a dump, but I put a screwdriver on the pulley bolt and could hear the noise transfer through the screwdriver. Autozone actually sells the front idler pulley for cheap.
The noise that is in the youtube video.!

I've isolated the noise coming from the timing belt tensioner on the bracket. I've swapped tensioner pulleys and noise is still there. I've check P/S fluid, good. All timing components are brand new from Mitsubishi..
Old Oct 10, 2020 | 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spoolin4g63
The noise that is in the youtube video.!

I've isolated the noise coming from the timing belt tensioner on the bracket. I've swapped tensioner pulleys and noise is still there. I've check P/S fluid, good. All timing components are brand new from Mitsubishi..
So you have a new timing belt tensioner? Did you change the front idler pulley as well? Perhaps a new video of your actual car would be better.