Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

well, time for a fluid change...still a little confused

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2004, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, time for a fluid change...still a little confused

Ok well im halfway through 12k miles and have decided its about time for a fluid change in the evo. Well I have narrowed my choice down between fluids from reading on here. I am a little confused on what fluids to use for the diffs still.

for the Tranny i think im going to go with either BG syncroshift(original), Redline MT90, or GM syncromesh(Penzoil Syncromesh) all GL-4 oils.

ok now here is the confusion. for the diffs i always see on here 75w90 Redline diff oils, but which one?? Some say one of the shockproof's(ok which one?) some say no to shockproof, some say to use other than redline. I would just like to get some help from someone who actually knows on here what they are talking about and has a little experience with the fluids for the evo. If i can get any help or input on this it would be great, also you can discuss my tranny fluid dicisions as well. Doing a search on here just confuses me more and more each time.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

always love the help on here...
Old Mar 15, 2004, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

I have GM synchromesh in my tranny and I have no compliants other than that you can through the car into 1st gear at 30mph As far as diff fluid, I have no comments as the previous owner put in valvoline 75-90 synth and it seems fine.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

I did a fluid change last week. After much research, I used GM Syncromesh in the tranny. It's amazing how much smoother it is. I should have bought the Pennzoil for half the price. BG is also great I hear, but easier to run down to my Ponticrap dealer.

For my transfer case, I bought Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil 75W90 which exceeds GL5 standards. Buy it right off the shelf at Pep Boys instead of ordering Red Line.

I did not do the rear diff yet as I only have 4000 miles. But the transfer case oil was black. I'm glad I did it at this low milage. The tranny oil was pretty clean, but the Syncromesh is worth it. Had very few metal shards on the magnet. Also bought a fluid pumper which made it very easy and a one person job.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

do you buy the modified one for the GM syncromesh or this one??

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/gm_syncromesh.html
Old Mar 15, 2004, 10:29 AM

I just had this done and I used Penzoil Syncromesh (from Autozone half the price of the GM and the same stuff I'm told) for the tranny and Redline 75w-90 (from a local redline dealer) for the diffs. I gave the guy 3qts of each and he had plenty.

I don't notice toooo much of a difference with the shifting but then again I didn't have the 2nd gear grinding problem others have. But it does feel a bit smoother over all.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

sweet, yeah I have heard the Pennzoil is the same as well...but im still unsure, and by the way it sounds and the reading up I have done, it sounds like most of the people sware by the syncromesh stuff and redline for the diffs...still kinda confused about which redlines for the diffs though.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Use redline 75W90 for the diffs. If you really want to, you could probably use 75W90NS in the transfer case since there's no clutches in there that would need the friction modifier found in the 75W90.

Or you can go with their shockproof oils. If you use it in the rear diff then be sure to use their friction modifier as well. I think 4oz. of additive is supposed to be good. As far as which weight shockproof... well you could probably use any of the three, I think all are rated to hold load at least as well as 75W90. I'd say the lightweight is probably the best alternative of the three. I used it myself for a little while until I had to drain the transfer case to change the clutch.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

ok so just standard redline 75w90 in both diffs then should be alright?? thanks for the input man.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about the transfer case? So you use the redline 75w90 in the front and rear diff, GM Synchromesh in the tranny, do you need more fluid for the transfer case?
Old Mar 15, 2004, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

the front and transfer case are the same thing transfer case = center diff.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks!! Sounds like what I'm gonna do then, GM in the tranny and redline in the diffs.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

yup your thoughts are exactly like mine. PS i hear Autozone or Advance auto parts carries the Pennzoil Synchromesh for the tranny for cheaper than going to the chevy dealer and picking up the GM synchromesh...in fact on the back of the Pennzoil bottle it gives the GM synchromesh part number...i hear they are the same stuff just in different containers.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

ok guys i need someone to speak english to me i am a liitle confused and want to change the fluid this week, here is what i got so far:

Tranny= penzoil synchromesh

tranfer case= mobil 1 sythetic gear oil

diffs= redline 75 w 90

question

can i use redline 75 w 90 in both diffs straight out of bottle?

if anybody has an\ything to add to this it would be a great help
Old Mar 17, 2004, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

the transfer case is one of the diffs, its the center diff, use redline 75w90 straight outta the bottle for both center and rear diffs i have read.

Quick Reply: well, time for a fluid change...still a little confused