Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Exhaust Cut Out Option

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Exhaust Cut Out Option

Hi Guys!

I am Planning on changing my exhaust setup

Right now i have Catless Full 3" Inch Exhaust with the Loud Greedy Titanium Muffler.

This gives me a lot of tickets

Would this be a good combo?

Change my Invidia O2 and Downpipe to this one - http://www.maperformance.com/map-sta...e-evo-8-9.html - MAP Stainless Steel O2 Eliminator Downpipe

My Testpipe to This - http://www.shopenglishracing.com/Evo...d-Cut-Out.html - English Racing Boost Activated Cut Out

and everything after that is going to be Stock Exhaust.

I have all Bolt ons with a Ported MAP EF4
Old Dec 10, 2014, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I wish someone made a test pipe with the standard Y in it so you can bolt on a qtp cutout without cutting/welding in the exhaust. Im going to make my own but it would be nice just to buy one already made.

The o2 emiln is a nice part and gets rid of one potential exhaust leak. Idk how i feel about the boost activated cut out. I would want more of an on/off switch.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I used QTP cutouts for yrs, on 2 different vehicles & they worked very well for me.

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/index.php

They used to build & sell an Evo 8/9 downpipe, but it doesn't look like they do anymore.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
English Racing makes a test-pipe with a wastegate-activate cutout
Old Dec 11, 2014, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
English Racing makes a test-pipe with a wastegate-activate cutout
Like the one the op linked in his first post? lol.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMolition
Like the one the op linked in his first post? lol.
oh..yes....i'm stupid sometimes lol
Old Dec 11, 2014, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
I used QTP cutouts for yrs, on 2 different vehicles & they worked very well for me.

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/index.php

They used to build & sell an Evo 8/9 downpipe, but it doesn't look like they do anymore.
I think they have one but for Evo X
Old Dec 11, 2014, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by DSMolition
I wish someone made a test pipe with the standard Y in it so you can bolt on a qtp cutout without cutting/welding in the exhaust. Im going to make my own but it would be nice just to buy one already made.

The o2 emiln is a nice part and gets rid of one potential exhaust leak. Idk how i feel about the boost activated cut out. I would want more of an on/off switch.
I was leaning on that option at first but I have heard positive and negative feedback for the QTP Cut Out (Negative Being the motor Dying)

Also I think I would have to tune twice , 1 with the Cut out open and 1 with the Cut out closed , I have a Dual Map on my stock ECU , but I don't trust that thing.

Was searching the forums on this topic and found this other option for a boost activated cut - http://www.spracingonline.com/store/...ctivated_/3673 - Sound Perfomance 3" Cut out (SP EXHAUST CUTOUT 3)

The Cut Out seems nicer than the other one , but this one I would have to weld.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah i know the motors die every few years but the replacements are 59 bucks. And yea having almost no exhaust restrictions will raise your boost substantially so the higher boost levels will need to be tuned in on those load points. Shouldn’t be a huge deal.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
I have the discontinued 3" QTP downpipe with electric cutout coupled to a stock catback. If it were not for SCCA rules and where your exhaust terminates I would never think of getting rid of it. I went this route because on my old DSM I had a 3" TBE and I hated driving long distances due to the drone. You don't need to run dual maps with this part. You need to tune with it closed and open while in the same map. You'll hit different loads based on the exhaust flow and you just tune each WOT path to get your desired results.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:09 PM

Just go with the Road Race Engineering stealth exhaust. I have it on my IX with a 3" test pipe and don't get any drone, I still get compliments all the time on the way it sounds (pretty quiet and low tone and it gets a bit louder under full load). Plus it looks stock, cop pulled me over the other day and didn't even look at my exhaust twice, but I did get a stupid fix it ticket for window tint.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by pwrdby4g63
Just go with the Road Race Engineering stealth exhaust. I have it on my IX with a 3" test pipe and don't get any drone, I still get compliments all the time on the way it sounds (pretty quiet and low tone and it gets a bit louder under full load). Plus it looks stock, cop pulled me over the other day and didn't even look at my exhaust twice, but I did get a stupid fix it ticket for window tint.
Got link or picture of that set up?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What about a Varex muffler? Its pretty quiet when you want it to be. I have one, no cat or mid muffler and its quiet.

Old Dec 12, 2014, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

^ I was thinking of going with a varix. But they can get expensive. Especially since I like the dual look that comes on the newer lancers.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Zippy452
^ I was thinking of going with a varix. But they can get expensive. Especially since I like the dual look that comes on the newer lancers.
You could still do a dual exhaust with one muffler in the middle. They also make dual outlet mufflers. But yes, they're not cheap.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust Cut Out Option