Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

jun 264 cams?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2004, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Im fine with the HKS 272's myself....

-Shahul
Old Mar 16, 2004, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Looks like I'll get a chance to see how a set of these play out. I ordered a set and should have them in the car within a couple of weeks.

I talked directly with a couple of people who have tuned both the HKS 272s and the JUN 264s. The JUN 264s are the more aggressive of the two, but you need better engine management and will hit valve float (bounce) at lower RPMs than the HKS cams.

It was the JUN 272 cams that broke a valve guide Al's head, he replaced his JUN 272s with JUN 264s. I have no idea if he is still using them, however. Al had this info in a thread, but I don't have a link.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 05:35 PM

I am new at this so let me explain the best way I can. It idles fine 800 rpm but sometimes when I drive and stop the car it goes down to 300 and up to 1000rpms. The valve at idle is going carzy and the looping is rough at idle you can definitely tell I got cams(it sounds like a race car).

Is this normal?
I don't have any standalone or safc.

Thank you for all your help
Sebastian

Last edited by Seba; Mar 16, 2004 at 05:50 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

You're going to need some sort of engine management to get the car to idle properly. I personally wouldn't have installed cams without some sort of fuel enrichment. A SAFC would probably do the trick but the GReddy E-Manage is what I'm using.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 07:15 PM

Please I need to talk to somebody who has 264 cams because I don't know if the cams are bad or the install or they are 272.
I bought the cams from maki he claims they are 264 that's what it said on the bubble wrap but now I am worried there is something wrong with the engine.

The idle is fine but the louping is rough. I don't know if this is normal or not.
I also did the compression test and it is fine.
Anybody who has 264 cams please give me some info

Thank you
Sebastian
Old Mar 16, 2004, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by crazy_evo414
You're going to need some sort of engine management to get the car to idle properly. I personally wouldn't have installed cams without some sort of fuel enrichment. A SAFC would probably do the trick but the GReddy E-Manage is what I'm using.
Did you try out the cams without the emanage?
Is the rough louping normal without any standalone or piggiback

Last edited by Seba; Mar 16, 2004 at 07:23 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

No, I haven't tried them without the E-Manage. I would say you should talk to your tuner about the louping problem. When I had mine installed and tuned they worked almost like stock.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by crazy_evo414
No, I haven't tried them without the E-Manage. I would say you should talk to your tuner about the louping problem. When I had mine installed and tuned they worked almost like stock.
May I ask which tuner installed them for you?
Old Mar 16, 2004, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

I had a friend do the install and tuning for me.

I don't think that you could get most cams to run perfectly without some sort of fuel or engine management. I hear that the Tomei Poncams are the closests to stock without tuning though.

Last edited by crazy_evo414; Mar 16, 2004 at 08:27 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Seba, the idle you are experiencing with your cams is exactly what I was told to expect witout any corrective engine management. With the right tuning your idle can be smoothed to something closer to normal.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

plus isnt Maki a Jun distributor? so your cams are Jun?

CRAZY you think the safc would help the idle? i dont know if it would really...i wish it would though...

-Shahul

Last edited by Shahul X; Mar 17, 2004 at 07:52 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Seba
Please I need to talk to somebody who has 264 cams because I don't know if the cams are bad or the install or they are 272.
I bought the cams from maki he claims they are 264 that's what it said on the bubble wrap but now I am worried there is something wrong with the engine.

The idle is fine but the louping is rough. I don't know if this is normal or not.
I also did the compression test and it is fine.
Anybody who has 264 cams please give me some info

Thank you
Sebastian
This is a nice information on HKS cams
HKS Cams

The 264 duration cams are the street cams, the 272 duration cams are the race cams. Everyone is building a "race" car in their mind, sure. But if you care about a silky smooth idle, get the street cams. Don't buy the 272s and run to a message board like a ***** and whine about the lumpity idle. If you think you have a street/race car... get the 264 intake and the 272 exhaust. It is a nice compromise.

jun are a bit more aggressive not just in lift but also the cam profile , same as Tomei . Even doh Tomei have less duration then compare to hks 264 since Tomei are 260 but the lift is 11.5mm and the cam profile is different . Providing a ruff idle. In order to have a stock idle " YOU NEED AN E- MANAGEMENT"
SAFC i dont think it can control idle, you need either EMS, Apexi FC , greddy unit (not much familiar with)or maybe even a FLASH (custom tune) to get the best out of the cams and also control the lumpy idle that you are having. I would invest running those cams into properly e- management....
Old Mar 17, 2004, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Seba
My current settings are 0 ex 0 intake.
they should be:

Here is our recommended valve timing for 4G63 camshafts.
INTAKE (after top dead center): 110 deg.
EXHAUST (before top dead center): 115 deg.

by the way, boost solution is a JUN distributor, shouldnt they know how to install JUN cams???
Old Mar 17, 2004, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

trust maki, he knows and couldnt send you non Jun or wrong cams.... on purpose anyways

-shahul
Old Mar 17, 2004, 05:17 PM

I am sorry Maki that I said that it might be the wrong cams I am just traying to find out what is wrong. The car makes awsome power with the jun cams but it sounds like the timing is off and I hope I can fix it by adjusting the cam gears but I need the settings for the gears ex and intake(right now it is at 0 ex 0in)
Maybe the jun cams require some kind of engine menagement to correct the timing or a dynoflash.

You told me that I don't need a e-manage to get the car to run fine and that 264 cams are fine for street use and that they idle fine.

Last edited by Seba; Mar 17, 2004 at 05:27 PM.

Quick Reply: jun 264 cams?