Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Solid side diff supports without mustache bar

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Solid side diff supports without mustache bar

So I made some adjustments to my side diff supports and now I am running solid 6061 aluminum mounts, I currently have my own version of the AMS MBE, but I was wondering what the hell it even does with solid side diff supports.

The only thing I can think of is that it helps with the diff flipping backwards, but if you have the solid diff supports what does it do?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBoz
So I made some adjustments to my side diff supports and now I am running solid 6061 aluminum mounts, I currently have my own version of the AMS MBE, but I was wondering what the hell it even does with solid side diff supports.

The only thing I can think of is that it helps with the diff flipping backwards, but if you have the solid diff supports what does it do?
I have been thinking of the same thing. I don't see a need for it but at the same time I'm not gonna be the Ginny pig haha.

Same thing with the rear trans mount. I run a solid front cross member and avid side mounts. I don't see a need for a rear trans mount.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
It provides a moment arm to act against any potential rotation of the diff. It could be possible for the side mounts to rip out of the chassis eventually with repeated application of torque to the diff. Not saying it will happen.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
You would be forcing the bolts that secure the side mounts to the chassis to take a bending load. Fasteners don't like bending loads.

Consider the reaction torque, the diff sees roughly 3x more torque around the axle than around the pinion. That bracket carries that reaction load to the torque into the rear subframe.