Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Downpipe setup for FP's new SS housing. What are you using?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ill be installing my stm dp this week along with an fp black
Old Jan 25, 2015, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by jwdp54
gawd damn that setup looks sexy as ****! :smitten:
Old Jan 26, 2015, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am honestly considering making these myself. I just switched to the SS hotside and im going to make one for my car. The materials cost around 150 with flanges, clamps and tubing. I still cannot figure out why shops are charging 700+ for this and they charge you more to make it recirculated. Plus you need to buy a wastegate on top of all of this.

I was also thinking about making an o2 housing that bolts right up to the aftermarket down pipe that can be recirculated or open dump.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 07:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by evolve_VIII
I am honestly considering making these myself. I just switched to the SS hotside and im going to make one for my car. The materials cost around 150 with flanges, clamps and tubing. I still cannot figure out why shops are charging 700+ for this and they charge you more to make it recirculated. Plus you need to buy a wastegate on top of all of this. I was also thinking about making an o2 housing that bolts right up to the aftermarket down pipe that can be recirculated or open dump.

$150 in materials, plus "R&D" time, and then labor to build it. There a lot more than material costs in them. And recirc costs more because it takes more time to fit it up..
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am honestly considering making these myself. I just switched to the SS hotside and im going to make one for my car. The materials cost around 150 with flanges, clamps and tubing. I still cannot figure out why shops are charging 700+ for this and they charge you more to make it recirculated. Plus you need to buy a wastegate on top of all of this.

I was also thinking about making an o2 housing that bolts right up to the aftermarket down pipe that can be recirculated or open dump.
I like this idea
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
$150 in materials, plus "R&D" time, and then labor to build it. There a lot more than material costs in them. And recirc costs more because it takes more time to fit it up..
R&D makes one part. Then you make a jig to mass produce them which is pretty cheap. I used to fab for Roush and Ford Racing and some of the NASCAR parts Fenway made, it was pretty easy and cheap. I cant see one part being sold at over 700 to make back that money.

To same money in the recirculation part you make a slip fit part or a flex. Plus you already have to jig made up to add this or not. Its way less material and 1 weld.

I get where you are coming from but these prices are insane. You have around $1000 in a down pipe and wastegate and another 2400 for the FP turbo.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Well like everything else, over time they will come down in price. Or a company will start to mass producing these and selling them at a more reasonable price.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:57 PM
EvoM Guru

R&D makes one part. Then you make a jig to mass produce them which is pretty cheap. I used to fab for Roush and Ford Racing and some of the NASCAR parts Fenway made, it was pretty easy and cheap. I cant see one part being sold at over 700 to make back that money.

To same money in the recirculation part you make a slip fit part or a flex. Plus you already have to jig made up to add this or not. Its way less material and 1 weld.

I get where you are coming from but these prices are insane. You have around $1000 in a down pipe and wastegate and another 2400 for the FP turbo.

They're really not. Similar setup for the OEM hot side is $550 from JM Fab. If you buy a tubular O2 housing with open dump and a down pipe you're in it over $500. They expect to sell less of these than the parts for the OEM hotside, so they cost more. Cost, supply, demand. If you don't like the price, stay with an OEM hotside stock frame turbo with a far inferior internal wastegate. You have to pay to play.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 01:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Evolve vii if you make it for less people will buy it. I have heard the bend to work with a 100% stock down pipe is impossible to work.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by jwdp54
from the picture, that downpipe looks very well made, making me lean even more towards the STM. Let us know how fitment goes when you get it on there bub
Old Jan 27, 2015, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone think ATP's downpipe would work?

Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:46 AM

Idk but I feel like FP really fkd everyone.
1 thing I do not understand is, Why is it that the turbo doesn't come with gaskets
or oil lines? Why don't they just make it an entire kit? I'm going to blow a lot more
money on this than I wanted to. but like someone said "got to pay to play"
This turbo better be worth it.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 01:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by STLEVOIX
Anyone think ATP's downpipe would work?

I highly doubt the wastegate is in the same relative position.

As far as the oil line, the description says its included with the ball bearing turbos on the website.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

im talkin the downpipe by itself with no recirc. Thats the only picture i could find. They sell the downpipe for 5 bills
Old Jan 29, 2015, 02:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by STLEVOIX
im talkin the downpipe by itself with no recirc. Thats the only picture i could find. They sell the downpipe for 5 bills

So, you're attempting to save $150 (over the STM downpipe and dump tube) for something that likely won't fit? And then you still have to build a dump or recirc tube, so cost will be the same. Doesn't make much sense..

Quick Reply: Downpipe setup for FP's new SS housing. What are you using?