Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Downpipe setup for FP's new SS housing. What are you using?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
So, you're attempting to save $150 (over the STM downpipe and dump tube) for something that likely won't fit? And then you still have to build a dump or recirc tube, so cost will be the same. Doesn't make much sense..
Just pointing out another option. Good luck with your build
Old Jan 31, 2015, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
What's up fellas, united we stand, group buy, 10 people, whoever wants re circulated, cool, whoever wants dumped, cool !

We call the company we decide on, start the negotiations, if reasonable pricing is acquired, let go for it.

I gave a plan, who is ready for action ?
As of right now I have a turbo that I can only look at because of various fabrication shops that can, and will exploit this opportunity to get large amounts of cash from consumers like us

100-150 bucks in metal, a couple hours of work if that, $700, $800, $900 dollars, surgeon's dont even make that much money

It sucks when you need somebody, and they take advantage of you, I'm not rich, I'm pretty sure most of you aren't rich, like I said united we stand, the shops would be stupid to let 10, 20 ,30 people walk away, just because they wont budge on a dollar amount

Let me know fellas, lonestarr..

Evovle VIII, dont talk about it, if you will start making them, do it.

Charge down to earth prices, put the money in YOUR POCKET, AND STAND BY YOUR WORK 100%

If I knew how to do it, trust me, I would be making them around the clock, quality would be on par with the rest of them.
I guarantee everybody prices would DROP.....
Because fab shops dont won't that money to get away from them !!

Do it evovle, if your product is on point, and priced right, I'll buy from you, I'm gone fellas..

Last edited by fostytou; Jan 31, 2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If we get enough people interested in attempting a group buy, i'd commit to it. I'll hold off on ordering the STM piece for a little while.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
While I see your point I have to say I would just pay the price or talk to them about a group buy.

You are correct, IF you could fabricate and weld it would be fairly cheap for you to make. BUT, to accomplish what they are selling you would need various metal working tools and basically a shop to fabricate everything.
These added costs are called overhead and come with additional costs included in their price. It isn't cheap to have a shop and tools and years of experience in fabrication and welding.

I can't believe you suggest that lawyers don't charge as much per hour as a fabrication shop.
If you aren't rich or can't afford it don't buy it.

Why would you buy something and then complain about the prices it costs for the supporting mods?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input Mr.rc51, I own a 2001 by the way, I really value your opinion !

So let's get down to business, first thing first, Mr.rc51 are you typing on your keyboard, and implying that it is WRONG TO negotiate for something ?

#2. Out of everything I said, which was positive, you say I'm complaining.
You didn't get the sense of me trying to empower people, informing folks that you don't have to take this nonsense..

I'll repeat myself, I value your opinion Mr.rc51, I'm trying to solve a problem that us folks are having, I gave a very good option, only one person so far sees the vision I'm trying to create, but im complaining. .

Thanks Wickerman for seeing my vision, I'm pretty sure Mr.rc51 everybody can, and will afford to get the downpipe, Me personally I just spent $ X, XXX on a fp setup, everybody else just spent $ X, XXX on a setup as well, so by me stating that do you really think 600,700,800,1,000 dollars will hurt me or any body else ?

I got one answer for you, no it will not.

To all reading this, I'm a shop steward for the USW, I deal with negotiations, trust me it gets ugly in the meetings,
People there is absolutely nothing wrong with I'll say it again negotiating for something.

Last edited by fostytou; Feb 3, 2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by lonestarr20
Thanks for the input Mr.rc51, I own a 2001 by the way, I really value your opinion !
So let's get down to business, first thing first, Mr.rc51 are you typing on your keyboard, and implying that it is WRONG TO negotiate for something ?
#2. Out of everything I said, which was positive, you say I'm complaining.
You didn't get the sense of me trying to empower people, informing folks that you don't have to take this nonsense..
I'll repeat myself, I value your opinion Mr.rc51, I'm trying to solve a problem that us folks are having, I gave a very good option, only one person so far sees the vision I'm trying to create, but im complaining. .
Thanks Wickerman for seeing my vision, I'm pretty sure Mr.rc51 everybody can, and will afford to get the downpipe, Me personally I just spent $ X, XXX on a fp setup, everybody else just spent $ X, XXX on a setup as well, so by me stating that do you really think 600,700,800,1,000 dollars will hurt me or any body else ?

I got one answer for you, no it will not.
Have you ever thought about putting all your thoughts into one post and not make five separate ones?!
Old Feb 1, 2015, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Im sorry for complaining Mr. Rc51, I really do value your input, have a great superbowl fellas, go seahawks.
There is nothing wrong with trying to get something cheaper, take care..

Sorry kobZ, im a new guy, whats your opinion about this, be honest

Last edited by fostytou; Feb 3, 2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Great bikes, I miss my '01.
I value your opinion as well.

I don't see any harm in trying to get a group buy, like I stated.

The thing I disagree with is someone complaining about the price after said person spent $3k for a turbo knowing full well what supporting mods that person would need.

I am interested in what you think a fair price is?
What would you expect to pay for this piece?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
If you want a affordable option you can just pick up the FP 02 housing and modify your standard style downpipe to make it fit. The FP 02 housing is $250 and the cost to modify the stock downpipe shouldn't be all that much.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...Lancer-Exhaust

Last edited by e_kobz; Feb 1, 2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

$500.00dumped
$550.00 re circu
And stand by your product 100 %
And configure the pipe the way the customer wants it..
Nobody said customer service is easy, but its what you do that will keep a customer coming back.

I guarantee any shop that did this would not be able to keep up, the waiting time would be 3 to 6 months.

In my defense, I know that is a very great street price for everybody..

Is that better Jon and kobz, keep in mind im the new guy !!
Old Feb 1, 2015, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Keep in mind Mr.rc51, these shop buy material in bulk, meaning dirt cheap but I will say this to you, your absolutely correct regarding operation cost of running a business 100%.

They have to cover the lease,
salary for the employee's,
R&D,
etc, etc..
Old Feb 1, 2015, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Keep in mind Mr.rc51, these shop buy material in bulk, meaning dirt cheap but I will say this to you, your absolutely correct regarding operation cost of running a business 100%.

They have to cover the lease,
salary for the employee's,
R&D,
etc, etc..

I think your $500 price is pretty fair but the recirc price is way off.
The fabrication in making that pipe merge into the other will be a bit more. I don't know what experience you have with welding and fabricating but there is a bit more involved than what you think.
I would say if non recirc would be $500 I would expect recirc to be around $700.

If you want someone to stand behind there stuff 100% you are going to pay for it.
Colin at Toxic Fab does and he is busy as hell but it ain't cheap.

How much do you think I paid for this 02 housing made by Colin at Toxic Fab?

Old Feb 1, 2015, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Yes kobz, great point as well, but you cant tell me that the downpipes that the various shops are making aren't gorgeous !!
Stm
fathouse
map
sheepey
Etc, etc..
They are works of art, I just wanna do it right the first time, but kobz I'll repeat, you've made a solid point with the fp o2 solution

You paid what the fabricator requested, just by looking at it, a lot of thought was put into that piece, a lot.
Let me clarify, I'm no welder, and dont even know where to begin welding, it looks simple to do, but I know it a very invovled process.

I'd probably would get desperate and make my downpipe out of pepsi cans,and duct tape
lol.

Wickerman, your thoughts and opinions about this, I apologize for typing too much on your thread, sorry

Perfect example Rc51, you are quoting 700 for a recir dowpipe, I say to you Sir " I have 640 dollars cash, right now" !
Chances are you will not let me walk away over 60 dollars, moral of the story is, you quoted a price, I presented a offer, we negotiated, came to a agreement, you accepted my offer, bargaining 101.
The worst that can happen is you get told No..

how do u upload pictures ???

Last edited by fostytou; Feb 3, 2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

You paid what the fabricator requested, just by looking at it, a lot of thought was put into that piece, a lot.
Let me clarify, I'm no welder, and dont even know where to begin welding, it looks simple to do, but I know it a very invovled process.

I'd probably would get desperate and make my downpipe out of pepsi cans,and duct tape
lol.

I am not trying to insult you or anything like that. There are a few more things involved than just bending some tubing. I am not a professional fabricator either.

Just a quick look at the STM pieces tell me some other costs would be the 3 flanges, flex below, 02 bung, exhaust hangers, tubing and fabrication/ welding. SS tubing isn't cheap either. My guess would be they have $250 in parts, maybe $200 since they buy everything in bulk. My guess would be a 4 hours minimum of fabrication and welding time, probably more.

In my eyes it is worth every penny they are asking for but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

STM will stand behind their product, I am sure of that.

I paid $1200 for that custom 02 housing from TF. TF guarrunties his products for life.
I can tell you this much, the merging of the WG tube into the downpipe is such a PIA Colin wasn't looking forward to making it.
If you want what I would consider as the best, give TF a call. But I can tell you TF will be significantly more than STM.

Maybe STM will knock a few $$$$ off for you, can't hurt to ask.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Perfect example Rc51, you are quoting 700 for a recir dowpipe, I say to you Sir " I have 640 dollars cash, right now" !
Chances are you will not let me walk away over 60 dollars, moral of the story is, you quoted a price, I presented a offer, we negotiated, came to a agreement, you accepted my offer, bargaining 101.
The worst that can happen is you get told No..

how do u upload pictures ???

Understood, this is the way business is done now. Sometimes they will say yes and sometimes no. It really depends on the cost to produce it and what the demand is. Lots of companies these days won't produce parts like this unless they have it sold, in that case they may want full price to produce it.
My point is that there is a bit more involved than what you think. When you can't do it yourself then you have to pay someone else.

Call STM and talk to them about the $$$$.

Use photbucket or another picture hosting site

Quick Reply: Downpipe setup for FP's new SS housing. What are you using?