Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Max Boost Pressure on Standard Internals

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2004, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Plenum Chamber

Originally posted by JohnT

Had a look at the Magnus Motorsport Plenum , Nice
Very nice piece, I believe it is the cheapest of the 3 i have researched so far (Magnus, BJ's, and JUN), that is the order from least expensive on up. www.lancershop.com, look at the top right of the home page you can see the BJ's manifold.

anyone any thoughts on pistons , what do you guys favour in the states ?

Regards

John
My opinion, Ross pistons and Carrillo or Crower Rods
Old Mar 18, 2004, 08:36 AM

Rods

Hi Chad,

any specific dislike of the Oliver Racing rods ?

Yes the BJ manifold looks good as well.

Would need to fabricate some piping to the IC from the throttle body anyone doing this already ?

John
Old Mar 18, 2004, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

John T, nice to see another Brit telling these Americans what we can really do. On the internals front, just speak to Moses on http://www.lancerregister.com. He has just had his new engine built and it looks wicked. Sounds pretty cool too. He is currently staring 500bhp and around 460lbsft in the face on a first (VERY safe) tune. He has the bigger 3240 though. He recons he is going to see full boost by the late 3ks but that is with a 2.3ltr. Anyway if I was you I would drop a nitride coated 4G64 crank in with some Norris Design pistons and maybe rods. This will give you a wicked bottom end that should handle 600+ UK BHP, and give you mid to low 3K spool up. Alternatively you could wait for Boost Solutions 2.3ltr stroker to come out. Should be priced “well below $5k” which would read £2,800!!! By the way, on the cams, you would be better off with Piper’s. They offer better lift than the HKS could ever dream of. And get Norris Design to do the set up, he is the best in the business.
Thanks Chris.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Rods

Hi Chad,

any specific dislike of the Oliver Racing rods ?

Yes the BJ manifold looks good as well.

Would need to fabricate some piping to the IC from the throttle body anyone doing this already ?

John
Never really looked at the Oliver rods, I have just researched what is going to be readily available to me in the states when I build up the engine. The only rod I have heard negative comments about, very few, are the Eagle H beams.

There are many intercooler piping kits out there now for our cars, but if you want to get a bigger TB you will probably have to get custom IC piping made as you wouldn't want piping that is smaller in size (inside diameter) than the TB.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 09:28 AM

Engine Build

Hi Chris

you read my mind , Simon Norris was the top of my list along with Gaz@cpp for building the new engine, I just happened to purchase a few bits before the 3037S , well never mind I can always sell them on, on the MLR.

I am hoping to build into a brand new evo 8 engine or if this drops through my original engine with new crank and shells + pistons and rods

I saw some pictures of moses engine on the engine dyno , wow that car is going to move ... most impressive

The Norris pistons I believe are JE to special design did'nt know he did rods ..must give him a call ..he usually recommends JUN for the real high power but I am only looking for the High 400's as anymore and I will need to uprate the drivetrain .. Cusco or Kazz diffs front middle and a proper ralliart rear diff .. unfortunately thats another £7K or $12000 so it would be sensible not to wreck my current rear end... maybe go with the CUSCO / internal AYC solution for £850 as I already have a Helical front LSD.

I am being swayed on the Pipers I think I have decided to have a look at the Piper 264 11.5 mm inlet and 10.8mm Exhaust , as I do not want to adversly affect the spool up along with one of the plenum chambers mentioned in the thread.

I believe evo 400 has a new piper cam design for the inlet and using solid lifters just for the inlet

Injectors are to be 1000cc Blitz as these are only $800 against $1200+ for the HKS injectors in the UK the HKS are approx £ 250 each or nearly $1750... thank god for the internet and the buying power of the USA.

anyone have any issues with the blitz injectors ?

I may keep my Oliver rods as they are really nice and I think will be Ok for what I want to do, although I am open to advice if anyone thinks these are going to fail at the 500 BHP mark.

John