Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Max Boost Pressure on Standard Internals

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2004, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max Boost Pressure on Standard Internals

I have been offered a brand new EVO 8 engine , what is the max boost pressure for this engine ?

I have a HKS 3037S turbo to fit and want to run 2.0 - 2.2 Bar , do I require forged internals ?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

John
Old Mar 17, 2004, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

The evo 8 already has forged pistons from the factory but to run that much boost I would say upgraded forged rods and better pistons with apr rodbolts with apr head studs and you will be needing a much better set of cams,springs and retainers I would recommend contacting Dave Buschur or Boost Solutions for your parts and advice, they should be able to hook you up in the right direction. Also I know that there are a few people running that turbo on this board but I don't know how far they are pushing the car. I hope this helps and be sure to put up your times once you get it running.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Max Boost Pressure on Standard Internals

Originally posted by JohnT
I have been offered a brand new EVO 8 engine , what is the max boost pressure for this engine ?

I have a HKS 3037S turbo to fit and want to run 2.0 - 2.2 Bar , do I require forged internals ?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

John
Dude, 2.0 bar (damn near 30psi) on stock internals??? Prepare to buy another engine.

Read the thread Al posted about running high boost on his engine. He has a 3037S with mostly stock internals and never exceeds 21psi. (Like how I got Al and "exceed" in the same paragraph? ) Anyway, he doesn't recommend running anything higher than 20 or so on stock internals. I would love to run higher psi myself, but first I need upgraded internals, ARP headstuds and a metal headgasket.

Good luck, man!

EDIT: I just read what you have on your Evo VI - if you build the internals of the VIII with that type of quality, then you should be better off. Still not sure about 2.0 bar though.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

AMS has proven you can get 500 hp out of the stock internals, so with an upgraded headgasket and ARP head studs you could run 2.0 bar. The limiting factor that everyone here neglects to mention is the tuning. With that level of boost pressure, your intake temps go through the roof. Even with a good FMIC you are still extremely prone to detenation. If you want to run high boost, you will need serious race gas (VP C-16 at least) and most likey an additional cooling source like water or alcohol injection. Tuning is by far the best way to make power, not throwing a huge turbo on and cranking the boost through the roof.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by clappton
AMS has proven you can get 500 hp out of the stock internals, so with an upgraded headgasket and ARP head studs you could run 2.0 bar. The limiting factor that everyone here neglects to mention is the tuning. With that level of boost pressure, your intake temps go through the roof. Even with a good FMIC you are still extremely prone to detenation. If you want to run high boost, you will need serious race gas (VP C-16 at least) and most likey an additional cooling source like water or alcohol injection. Tuning is by far the best way to make power, not throwing a huge turbo on and cranking the boost through the roof.
Clappton,

You are EXACTLY right! This is somthing that I didn't mention but spare no expense on a EMS and Tuning. It will make or break any part.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 06:50 AM

New Block

Thanks guys

I was unsure about the suitability of the stock internals and have the following to go into the engine :

A set of Oliver Rods and a choice of either HKS 85.5mm or JE Pistons

The HKS will require a re-bore so am tempted to go with JE

what do you guys think ?

I also have a set of HKS 272 In/Ex cams + HKS Springs + HKS Cam Pullies. Again comments good/bad/indifferent

Also have the ARP head Bolts , Main Bolts but as yet no gasket ,I want to run a Higher compression so will probably go with a 1.0mm gasket and high comp pistons.What do you think ?

I am also looking to do mild headworks as I do not want to adversly effect the spool up of the 3037S.

I am looking to run 2 Bar midrange falling off to 1.8 Bar at 7000 RPM

I am lead to believe that back pressure generated by the 3037S is significant above 7000 RPM , what are you guys running ?
I'll have a look at AL's thread , I know his car from when he comes on the MLR in the UK, some spec most impressive.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 06:56 AM

IC

Hi Clappton,

I missed your earlier response , I have a PACE IC installed which is some 67% larger than stock with custom alloy piping all the way to the throttle body, am starting to think that my biggest bottle neck on the car will now be the throttle body and Plenum chamber

have any of you guys changed either of these components ?

Last edited by JohnT; Mar 17, 2004 at 06:59 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

how much does a new engine cost?
Old Mar 17, 2004, 07:10 AM

Hi

In the UK £2500 for complete engine less manifolds, £1800 for short engine.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

John, If you're going that far with your engine, you may want to do more research on cams. The HKS are being run over here, but largely on cars with stock internals. In many of the higher power cars people are using Piper, Tomei or JUN cams.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 08:10 AM

Cams

Here in the UK Piper are also being run on high HP cars , I just had a set of HKS 272's in my old engine and wondered if they would be suitable.

I guess Piper is the way to go here.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

What kind of fuel or engine management are you using?
Old Mar 17, 2004, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

it says Motec M400 in his profile
Old Mar 17, 2004, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: IC

Originally posted by JohnT
Hi Clappton,

I missed your earlier response , I have a PACE IC installed which is some 67% larger than stock with custom alloy piping all the way to the throttle body, am starting to think that my biggest bottle neck on the car will now be the throttle body and Plenum chamber

have any of you guys changed either of these components ?
I have a new sheet metal intake manifold from Magnus motorsports up in Canada. Very nice piece.

Keith
Old Mar 18, 2004, 03:07 AM

Plenum Chamber

Hi Keith,

Had a look at the Magnus Motorsport Plenum , Nice

What diameter throtle body are you looking at ?

Also noticed no integral fuel rail , any problems with using my existing HKS rail ?

dyslexicbevo

I take your point about 22PSI through the 3037S

anyone any thoughts on pistons , what do you guys favour in the states ?

evo452 , yes the ECU is the new M400 from Motec fully unlocked.

Regards

John

Quick Reply: Max Boost Pressure on Standard Internals