Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Towing Evo with transmission out?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2015, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing Evo with transmission out?

I need to tow my evo ix to a shop but the transmission is out and engine is held up by an engine support bar on top. I was planning to re-install the ball joints on each side and then put the wheels on. I have heard that I may damage the wheel bearings on both sides if the cv axles aren't installed. Will it be safe to tow it in this condition?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would not do that. The engine will bang around and damage stuff. You do need the axles torqued in order to not damage the wheel bearings. Even just sitting with weight on them is bad if the axle isn't torqued.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RiCat
I need to tow my evo ix to a shop but the transmission is out and engine is held up by an engine support bar on top. I was planning to re-install the ball joints on each side and then put the wheels on. I have heard that I may damage the wheel bearings on both sides if the cv axles aren't installed. Will it be safe to tow it in this condition?
I think the vehicle would be fine if towed on a flat bed only. You're not going to hurt anything. We do it all the time when vehicles are being transported between my dealership and the body shop. We remove engines/transmissions, then send vehicles down to the body shop to have work performed there.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by batty200
I would not do that. The engine will bang around and damage stuff. You do need the axles torqued in order to not damage the wheel bearings. Even just sitting with weight on them is bad if the axle isn't torqued.
I do not understand exactly what you mean my friend. What/how will the engine bang around and hit stuff if it is secured to a flat bed tow truck? I also have never heard of wheel bearings getting damaged just from the wheels sitting on the ground? So it's bad for wheel bearings if the axles are not installed? Then how do you explain RWD/FWD cars that do not use axles at the front or rear, yet have hub bearing assembly's? We remove engines on state trooper cars, then send them on the tow truck to the body shop all the time. I am simply looking for you to elaborate on this, thank you!
Old Feb 15, 2015, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

The wheel bearings used in the EVO need to be preloaded. Mitsubishi has a tool to go in place of the axle so it can be rolled around without the axles.
This is explained in the service manual.

You could most likely substitute a bolt, nut, washers of sufficient size to fit and get the preload torque necessary.

Towing the car with the wheels on the ground will in fact ruin the wheel bearings.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 02:19 PM

I installed the axles back on and towed it that way Thanks for the answers!!
Old Feb 15, 2015, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^ so You didn't ruin your bearings? Lol

Last edited by egis; Feb 15, 2015 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Momma said so
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ya learn something new everyday!
Old Feb 16, 2015, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A wheel bearing with no axle in it is obviously designed to be run that way. However the wheel bearings in evos are designed to be held together by the axle shafts. So if that support is gone they will come apart. Also if the engine was removed then it couldn't move but an engine held up by one motor mount and a fender horse and chains could move around while the car is being towed if the tow truck hits a bump or goes over a speed bump. I always recommend dropping engine and transmission out of the bottom of the evolution in one piece and then bolting axles back in to roll car around.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by batty200
A wheel bearing with no axle in it is obviously designed to be run that way. However the wheel bearings in evos are designed to be held together by the axle shafts. So if that support is gone they will come apart. Also if the engine was removed then it couldn't move but an engine held up by one motor mount and a fender horse and chains could move around while the car is being towed if the tow truck hits a bump or goes over a speed bump. I always recommend dropping engine and transmission out of the bottom of the evolution in one piece and then bolting axles back in to roll car around.
Good info here.