Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Trans or Xfer case leak?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans or Xfer case leak?

I have a leak which its coming from what looks like the Xfer case breather hole. The fluid leaks down and makes it way to my exhaust and slung by the drive shaft. I checked the Xfer case oil and it's plenty full. When I check the trans fluid it shows to be low. I notice the burnt smell usually after high speed driving. Is there a over flow vent for the trans? Also if the main seal between the trans and Xfer case were leaking would I be low on trans fluid or Xfer cAse fluid? Ive seen cases where from my understanding the trans leaks I to the Xfer case and destroys it? I've been searching for quite some time and havnt found a specific answer. Sorry if some think I'm beating a dead horse but I'm just not seeing my answer
Old Mar 2, 2015, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
without knowing the whole story on what was done its tough to say, but i have had a similar problem
if its blowing out the breather on top of the xfer case and ur losing trans oil, then ur seal in the xfer case is messed up.
if u let the tranny fluid continue to go into the xfer case it will get messed up. different fluid, gl5 vs gl4