Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New to Evo 8 bought with milky oil

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kinein
How many pounds of boost does a stock motor can handle. Or have out the factory?
Boost pressure isn't an issue, the tune on the other hand is a big issue. Factory they peak around 19-21 and taper to 16-18. I have tuned several cars in the 35+ range on OEM rods.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8426
Boost pressure isn't an issue, the tune on the other hand is a big issue. Factory they peak around 19-21 and taper to 16-18. I have tuned several cars in the 35+ range on OEM rods.

Well I am going to rebuild the motor, what would be ideal setup or what would be recommendations for the rebuild as far as keep using oem pistons vs. je pistons etc......using different cams then stock specs you get what I am asking.

I need the car to be reliable and being able to continue using 91 octane fuel. But would like to squeeze little bit more horsepower out of the block. I know that at the end I have to get the car tune when all said and done. (would like to keep cost down if possible.)

I appreciate the help and all the information you guys have given me and contiune to give on my build.

I feel if there needs to be a rebuild its the time to make changes while building the motor to squeeze a little out of the block.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did get it for a hella of price. I know the car very much and how it got to the chocolate shake mixer.
That's one small mercy.

I didn't mean to sound like a jerk in my earlier post.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Well I am going to rebuild the motor, what would be ideal setup or what would be recommendations for the rebuild as far as keep using oem pistons vs. je pistons etc......using different cams then stock specs you get what I am asking.

I need the car to be reliable and being able to continue using 91 octane fuel. But would like to squeeze little bit more horsepower out of the block. I know that at the end I have to get the car tune when all said and done. (would like to keep cost down if possible.)

I appreciate the help and all the information you guys have given me and contiune to give on my build.

I feel if there needs to be a rebuild its the time to make changes while building the motor to squeeze a little out of the block.
The block is the LEAST of your worries. There are many posts of high HP cars with stock block. It is as stout as they come.

Running on 91 Cali gas you will be damned lucky with all the bolt on parts to even crack an extra 100 HP. I have most everything you can bolt on with a BBK full and made 360 the last time out. It's a LOT harder to make HP than you might believe.

Freshen up your bottom end and have the head checked out and then start doing your mod stuff. Sounds like you have a blown head gasket anyhow so time to yank that thing off. FWIW the bolts on the intake manifold on the bottom are a REAL ***** without a lift!!!! Even with that it was a pain.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...&cat=93&page=1

something like this? or

Any suggestions?

Now I see the difference between the kits.

Last edited by kinein; Mar 5, 2015 at 08:23 PM. Reason: reword
Old Mar 5, 2015, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

over bore pistons would do what for me?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Old Mar 5, 2015, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

im in bakersfield ill buy the car 500 dollars more than what you paid for it XD
Old Mar 5, 2015, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

no Its going to be my daily driver. Porsche needs to rest......so who does your work here in bakersfield? do you go to the cars and coffee?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

no Its going to be my daily driver. Porsche needs to rest......so who does your work here in bakersfield? do you go to the cars and coffee?
i use to go to Cars n coffee , i work on it my self. Then i take it to 5150 racing down south for tuning
Old Mar 5, 2015, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Only shops i trust is FFtech , english racing , 5150 racing , E spec , and STM
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

what about wiseco pistons, or je pistons?
eagle or lower end manleys connecting rods h beam forge steel 150mm, now what is the difference and benefits of 150mm and 156mm lengths?

s2 cams 11.2 mm intake 11.0mm 274intake 272 exhaust (still not sure about the cams) Im trying to squeeze some hp from this.

dont know what to pick for retainer springs need help with this one also

acl bearings

I am thinking about port and polish but not do oversize on the valves unless anyone has any input on that here.

Now does this sound about right for a rebuild? going to keep stock crank if it is in good shape.

Now I heard oem head studs are pretty strong and for my application Should I consider and using other head studs? and like what?

of course oem gasket kit

with this I should be able to get the car running again
Old Mar 6, 2015, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

eagle or lower end manleys connecting rods h beam forge steel 150mm, now what is the difference and benefits of 150mm and 156mm lengths?

s2 cams 11.2 mm intake 11.0mm 274intake 272 exhaust (still not sure about the cams) Im trying to squeeze some hp from this.

acl bearings

I am thinking about port and polish but not do oversize on the valves unless anyone has any input on that here.

Now does this sound about right for a rebuild? going to keep stock crank if it is in good shape.

Now I heard oem head studs are pretty strong and for my application Should I consider and using other head studs? and like what?

of course oem gasket kit

replace headstuds!
remember this is a very old High mileage car... you might want to replace everything so you dont have to reopen it over and over again costing you mass labor....
imho i would REBuild EVERYthing dont Cheap out on anything...
its going to need it sooner or later...

Second JE pistons are Awesome! same with weisco just up to you.
i had 90mm CP .
i would recommend the JE pistons tho . Just due to Everyone always using them
like AMS etc

gsc2 cams are good!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intake, full turbo back exhaust, slightly bigger turbo and those gsc s2 cams and you can definitely crack 400 on pump. I'm sitting at 400whp on pump with the same setup but slightly higher compression ratio. But definitely replace everything so you don't end up wasting a lot of time and money. Have the crank checked out by a machine shop definitely
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

acl bearings

of course oem gasket kit

If you want a simple refresh, what you're talking about is not simple (156mm rods, etc).

Keeping it simple, you'd want to simply hone the bores, replace bearings and check for wear. You could put in a set of Weisco's and inexpensive H-beam rods and be done with it. I know Aby rebuilds his engines with OEM bearings, because they come in different sizes. And if you want to refresh the head with springs and retainers you can forget about, get the Kiggly beehive springs. They're pricy, but worth it. S2 is a good cam even for for an OEM turbo.

Quick Reply: New to Evo 8 bought with milky oil