Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New to Evo 8 bought with milky oil

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Evo 8 bought with milky oil

So I am very new to Evo's, I bought a Evo 8 from a good friend who was having issues with his car. So I don't know where to begin with this car. When he owned the car he said it felt like the car wasnt getting fuel it would stall or something like that. So he replaced the fuel pump. Still having same issues, when he checked the oil it was milky so he was lead to believe it was a blown head gasket. I picked up the car last nite to take possession of it. After reading a few threads it can be other possibilities. I think my first step is to do a leak down and compression check. If I have a blown head gasket, i might as well swap out rings, bearings and cams. The car has 215k miles on it. Is there any factory manuals on the motor to help with a rebuild if I have to go that route or even if I have to do the head gasket. I do most of all my own work on my other cars. If you have recommendations for anything let me know I am open to it.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With that many miles you might want to just rebuild the whole engine.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:28 AM

What he said!!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
215K miles with a chocolate shake mixer for an engine. You are a brave man!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For your sake, I hope you got it cheap.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

I did get it for a hella of price. I know the car very much and how it got to the chocolate shake mixer. I would like to do rings, bearings, head gasket and cams. But I have been contemplating a rebuild. I dont mind adding another 50-100hp but it is going to be a daily driver. I drive my porsche 993 everyday and bought the Evo to take its place so I can preserve the mileage.

I need it to be reliable and also take out for a little auto crossing. I dont mind stock specs, but it is much easier to bump it up 50-100 on a evo then the porsche. The car has simple mods header back exhust and Injen intake pipes etc.. thats about it.

If you have any input let me know. Ill post a picture of the car.
I want to keep cost low on the rebuild if I go that route. Or I might just the simple stuff to get it on the road.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

New to Evo 8 bought with milky oil-11031163_10204527424163622_3044904013104687162_n.jpg

New to Evo 8 bought with milky oil-1924971_10204527426003668_7637539385344604190_n.jpg
Old Mar 3, 2015, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

You got an 8. You are going to play hell to get an extra 100 out of it on pump alone.

With water in the oil you almost for sure have a blown head gasket. At those miles you might as well do the whole shooting match. You make one end new the old weaker part will fail soon after that in my experiences.

Cool to see another semi local. I'm an hour South of Bakersfield.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

I am leaning towards a rebuild. Im Just in the middle of another build on a 66 912 with a flat six engine 2.2. But I need the Evo as a DD, so I have to get the rebuild. I have been thinking about getting a long block but I would like to use the case I have now. So what ideas or advice you can give me on a build. I will be driving sometimes 600-1k miles a week.

Calcity what shop do you go to for work on your car?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

using 2.0L PARTS and nothing crazy...no over bore, no crazy port and polish intake manifold, heads..so with my stock motor, dropping in aftermarket pistons and rods, then putting it back on the car or cams too.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

using 2.0L PARTS and nothing crazy...no over bore, no crazy port and polish intake manifold, heads..so with my stock motor, dropping in aftermarket pistons and rods, then putting it back on the car or cams too.

Or to do it right using same block
Old Mar 4, 2015, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kinein
Calcity what shop do you go to for work on your car?
You've got Full Function Tech (FFTech Motorsports) PM PatrickB on here. SpeedElement if they are still around. GST Motorsports used to do a lot of Evos back when I was in NorCal. Works probably still exists, but i don't know if they can even spell Evo anymore, and they were expensive even back in the day.

I just mapped Bakersfield, and it's quite a bit further south than I remembered. So maybe LA shops are better for you... But the north shops are what I know & trust.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

How many pounds of boost does a stock motor can handle. Or have out the factory?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AreSTG
You've got Full Function Tech (FFTech Motorsports) PM PatrickB on here. SpeedElement if they are still around. GST Motorsports used to do a lot of Evos back when I was in NorCal. Works probably still exists, but i don't know if they can even spell Evo anymore, and they were expensive even back in the day.

I just mapped Bakersfield, and it's quite a bit further south than I remembered. So maybe LA shops are better for you... But the north shops are what I know & trust.
You can say that again. The shops you are talking about are a good 4 hours away from Bakersfield. Not worth that trip no matter what.

Funny you ask about who I use. Right now mine is at my brothers shop getting redone. I liked to wrench on cars some time ago but not so much anymore so he gets the call plus he has a lift which I don't.

AS for shops here in So Cal I know of a few. A lot of folks swear by Road Race. I understand that they are hard to get in touch with though.

I have had Massimo Power do the clutch on mine and have nothing but great things to say about them save the fact they are in the Orange County area and it a LONG drive. Massimo is also hard to get in contact with.

The last one that would be closest to you is KT Motoring. I have never had them do anything or been to the shop but they get good press on socalevo.net

That's about all I know of though. Good luck getting it corrected!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kinein
How many pounds of boost does a stock motor can handle. Or have out the factory?
Stock if IIRC is 17 tapering to 15 or some such. Most mildly modded cars here run as much as 30 PSI. Mine runs at 28 tapering to 26 when the fuel pump doesn't croak HAHA.

Quick Reply: New to Evo 8 bought with milky oil