Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil pressure and monitoring location

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil pressure and monitoring location

I've seen well known builders say that they like to keep oil pressure under 100psi to help longevity of their oil pumps. I'm trying to start a thread where we discuss the best oil pressure range, and the best place to monitor said oil pressure.
I'll start with my current setup. I'm using Brad Penn 20-50, no oil cooler, see max oil temps around 215. At a 1k rpm idle I see oil pressure at ~23psi. At 3k rpm I see oil pressure at ~80psi. However on cold starts I see oil pressure over 100psi.
I monitor oil temp and pressure both at the oil filter housing. I really like that location for monitoring oil temp, but I'm not too sure about pressure. I've been debating moving my oil pressure sensing location to the head, at the galley underneath the intake CAS on my IX. My reasoning for this is that while monitoring pressure at the OFH I'll get a good reading on pump outlet pressure, but will have a poor handle on what pressure is past my main and rod bearings.
For example, if I spin my #1 rod bearing, that large oil clearance will lower oil pressure for the rest of the oil system. While the reduction in back pressure will equate to a lower pressure being seen at the OFH, the pressure drop seen at the head would be larger due to the head being down stream of the spun bearing.

Where do you monitor oil pressure? What are your pressures? What have you heard as a good oil pressure range? Hopefully we could get English or Buschur to leave a comment with good experience.