Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ATTN: FP BLACK owners with NO oil leak issues

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATTN: FP BLACK owners with NO oil leak issues

HI, if you are running a fp black on a evo 8 or 9 with NO oil leak problems through the turbo will you PLEASE post either pictures or details on your catch can, pcv and intake setups. I'm trying to get mine fixed so I dont have this issue and i just want to see who's setup works best. thanks in advance.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

I'm running a jb Fp Black and no issues so far. I use the buschur catch can recirculating into the can and into the oil pan.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Yeah, I can tell you how to fix it. Find yourself a good turbo mechanic and say to him/her, and I quote, "can you convert my turbo to a journal bearing please". When you get it back, after you hand over your dollars, you'll have a turbo that doesn't leak. Believe me, any other method you use to try and stop the leak will fail, so don't waste money on catch can set ups and such, I tried all that and it made no difference at all. It would be good if FP would come clean on this issue, but they know it would cost them a fortune in warranty claims so they do the worst thing possible and blame their customers engines for the issue. Customers pour money into "fixing" their engines, to no avail, because the problem is the design of the turbo's cartridge not some imaginary engine fault. Don't waste more of your money trying to fix your engine, you've already wasted heaps when you purchased the Forced Performance junk.

Last edited by Fireescape; Mar 22, 2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fireescape
Yeah, I can tell you how to fix it. Find yourself a good turbo mechanic and say to him/her, and I quote, "can you convert my turbo to a journal bearing please". When you get it back, after you hand over your dollars, you'll have a turbo that doesn't leak. Believe me, any other method you use to try and stop the leak will fail, so don't waste money on catch can set ups and such, I tried all that and it made no difference at all. It would be good if FP would come clean on this issue, but they know it would cost them a fortune in warranty claims so they do the worst thing possible and blame their customers engines for the issue. Customers pour money into "fixing" their engines, to no avail, because the problem is the design of the turbo's cartridge not some imaginary engine fault. Don't waste more of your money trying to fix your engine, you've already wasted heaps when you purchased the Forced Performance junk.
So are u saying it's a problem with the BB turbos only?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 04:40 PM

Yeah I had turbo checked by fp and was told it's fine and I am not running a pcv valve and I'm using a vented catch can and intake doesn't have a vacuum port on it. I'm sick of having oil all over.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck. There are a few threads on this. There are people that have spent a great deal of time and money on their catch can setup to only have it STILL LEAK. I have a JB so no problems here. I do think that there is a problem with random FP BB turbos that they will not admit to or try to rebuild them for customers that have leaks. They will most likely deny it all day long that there is a problem but at the end of the day, why do some leak and some don't???

A friend of mine has a BB Red turbo with stock PCV system and no catch can with no leaks.

The one thread, a member installed -10 lines from his cover to a VTA catchcan. It still leaked.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

What size restrictor does FP recommend for the BB turbos? Is it possible it's still getting too much oil? Not saying there isn't an underlying issue here with the BB blacks, but I have dealt with picky journal bearing turbos in the past that required making a very small restrictor to keep oil from getting into the downpipe (several holsets)... and BB's require less oil.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 07:59 PM

On the phone I was told to pretty much use the stock setup when it comes to crankcase venting meaning using pcv valve plumbed into intake manifold and a sealed catch can going to intake on turbo.
I forgot to mention I am using their $200 oil line also.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 08:00 PM

I know there has been a lot of threads on the leaking turbos I'm just curious to see people's setups who's fp turbos are not leaking. Thanks guys
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Michael @ FP
I'm hesitant to share anything beyond I already have in fear that someone thinking it's the answer will just replicate it wholesale and when it doesn't work they're back in here screaming "you're full of **** I copied you exactly and it didn't work". Also it's not something that isn't already available in the market place our setup isn't special and unique.
-Michael
This is why I would say you have no hope for a catch can working. They talk about all this research they have done but can't tell you what they use. I had the same problem but I sold that turd. That is the only fix you are going to find.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 08:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vito93
This is why I would say you have no hope for a catch can working. They talk about all this research they have done but can't tell you what they use. I had the same problem but I sold that turd. That is the only fix you are going to find.
Actually we've already shared what we did, click my name - Statistics - View all post and you'll find it. Unless of course you meant to take the quote out of context for the sole purpose of trying to make it look like we didn't want to help, if that's the case then carry on.

This topic has been covered many many many many times and not one time have the people who routinely bash us in these threads submitted any data to back up their claims. Yet everyone that has taken the time to do proper troubleshooting and apply fixes after collected data has their problem resolved. The fact remains if the turbo is leaking you have a problem and it's more than likely not the turbo that's the problem.

Do you honestly think we'd still be able to sell these units if the majority were leaky and there was a honest to goodness design flaw? Do you know what kind of headache that would cause? Do you know how much would have to be spent to continually fix turbos? Do you grasp how BIG of a **** storm there would be everywhere? The fact remains the majority of people with these turbos do not have a problem, they put them on they work flawlessly and they go on with their lives. A small amount have issues and the ones that take the proper steps to quantify the problem and apply an educated fix no longer have a problem.

As for the OP it's not about what other people have done, what other people have done is irrelevant and trying to mirror someone's setup is a waste of your time. What you need to do is find out how much crankcase pressure your car is generating, YOUR CAR, not another car that has "almost" the same parts as you. What works for one car, may not work for another, no two cars are alike and if you don't have data you are just flying blind and will end up like other people throwing money blindly at a problem an getting frustrated when it doesn't work.

One way to do this is to get a factory drain pipe and weld on a nipple and attach a 0-5psi gauge to it and have someone watch as you drive the car. It will be erratic but will let you know what kind of pressure you're seeing. There are more eloquent ways of doing it but this will let you know if you have crankcase pressure and it don't cost an arm and a leg, also you don't need a fancy ECU to log it.

And just to be as thorough as possible here are some links some written by us and some buy Garrett and Holset detailing crankcase issues.

This is our tech document outlining the causes of oil coming out of the turbocharger.
http://forcedperformance.tumblr.com/...-oil-is-coming

Tech article written by a Garrett Engineer.
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...eshooting.aspx

White paper from Holset (Page 7 Item 12 Under installation)
http://www.cumminsturbotechnologies....nuals/HX35.pdf

Forum post detailing crankcase pressure.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#post11114615

-Michael