Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACT 6 Puck Sprung Review

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up ACT 6 Puck Sprung Review

First, let me just start off by clarifying:

1) I bought my Evo with the 6 puck installed and it had 15k miles ish on it plus track time from the original owner.
2) The clutch now has 35k+ on it and an extra 9 track events from my personal use. I daily drive the clutch as well.
3) Will be replacing this setup with another 6 puck sprung with ACT Prolite flywheel over the Exedy twin/QM 8leg
4) The kit I am referencing is this one: PART NUMBER: ME2-HDG6 - ACT Heavy Duty 6 puck sprung clutch kit

When I first went to drive the Evo for the first time it was actually very easy (stock like)... the pedal feel was good (slightly firmer than stock) and engagement was smooth for the most part. It definitely engaged snappier than stock. Below you will find a list of everything I liked about it and disliked about it.

Pros:
  • Holds a LOT of torque
  • No lockout issues, even when HOT
  • Clutch never slipped
  • Long life with abuse
  • Still Streetable, just takes getting used to
  • Good pedal feel, small engagement window (can be pro or con)
  • Cheap holding power (compared to twin discs)

Cons:
  • Hard to take off on hills (need preload with E-brake)- depends on flywheel choice though
  • 6 Puck hates being slipped (if you're low and need to get up speed bumps and curbs this is not the clutch for you)
  • A bit of extra deaccel noise from drivetrain

These are all the pros and cons I can personally think of.. i have had very positive experiences with the 6 puck. Some rumors stated that the 6 puck will put more strain on your driveline/transmission- I think this is more for the drag racers that consistently launch their cars. I use my car for time attack/roadrace so I do not shock the drivetrain with launches. If you drag race I would stay away from this clutch due to the clutch not liking to be slipped at all. I am pleasantly surprised with how awesome this clutch is on track- Snappy, fast shifts, very good response, all together a very good clutch. The clutch however, is not a 100% on-off switch.. there is a clearly defined slip point where you CAN slip the clutch a bit, it just will not be as pleasant as slipping a full face clutch. Once you're up and moving, shifting is very smooth and not jerky at all.

BOTTOM LINE:
If you daily drive your car ONLY with little to no track/autocross time I would recommend a full faced clutch as a 6 puck may be overkill. For the track cars I think this is a very good option over a twin plate, at a fraction of the price. You do have to adjust to the new clutch as it is much different than a full face or twin disc. I have enjoyed the clutch thoroughly- enough to order another replacement early because I am replacing before it decides to slip (lots of track time planned this summer, don't wanna be towing home ) Its running strong at 35k miles + and increasing! I actually found it very pleasant on the street once you get used to the clutch and how the engagement point actually works. I whole heartedly recommend this clutch to anyone who wants a lot of holding power and doesn't want to spend a crap ton on a twin plate with having to rebuild it.

For reference: Car is tracked 5-10x per year and increasing.... daily driven when I am at home from school. FP Green/E85/GSC S2/ TRE ULT RATIO 5 SPEED / ACT Prolite Flywheel/ STOCK Transfercase

Last edited by Jhurley_EvoVIII; Mar 26, 2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks man for the review. I'm tired of lock outs with street full face disk.i launch my car 10 times a year on the strip and mainly it locks out from 1-2 at 7K rpms.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by egis
Thanks man for the review. I'm tired of lock outs with street full face disk.i launch my car 10 times a year on the strip and mainly it locks out from 1-2 at 7K rpms.
Have you tried adjusting the clutch? I have heard about lockout at high rpm with the ACT's with improper clutch adjustment. I shift HARD from 1-2 sometimes for fun and I've had no issue at 7500rpm on the 6 puck.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Yes sir.i adjusted the pedal numerous times. I Don't have lock outs constantly but 2 times out of 8. It's all good I read s lot of threads about ACT.ill start from the scratch with 6 puck and see how it goes. I just don't know if I can reuse that pressure plate I have.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 316 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Jhurley_EvoVIII
Have you tried adjusting the clutch? I have heard about lockout at high rpm with the ACT's with improper clutch adjustment. I shift HARD from 1-2 sometimes for fun and I've had no issue at 7500rpm on the 6 puck.
I run the same clutch and pretty much agree with the Ops review. If you live in an area with hills don't buy this clutch because it hates hill starts.

Regarding lockout, I have never experienced and issue and I shift the car up to 9K rpm like butter. I followed the recommendation when installing to thoroughly clean the tranny shaft splines with a wire brush and I lubed with white lithium grease to make sure the disk moves freely. I suspect this is the real issue with folks that experience lockout.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Does anybody know if I can reuse pressure plate out of ACT street with six puck disc?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 04:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 372 Likes on 247 Posts
I also have a ME2-HDG6 and It shifts well at any rpm. Its a little grabby when new and mine needed a good 500 miles of stop and go to get broken in. I've got the 4.11 FD and its a little harder to start off on hills and what not but there aren't many in the flatlands of FL. I've tracked my car a few times on this clutch with no issues ( at 400-450whp) and will be replacing it with another one when my new engine goes in. I've also launched it 7-10 times and ran a 1/2 mile event without issues. The clutch does have a decent window of engagement for a puck clutch .

Sidenote, I didn't want to deal with the noise of a twin/triple for a DD. I also believe a light weight sprung puck type clutch will be easier on the transmission then a twin/triple over time.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I know the XTSS 6 puck in my car is holding well at 547whp. I'm really gonna push it this next year with an optomistic 3 digit + hp bump. Torque wont be much more tho so I hope it holds. The Exedy twin replacement at 30k just doesn't sit well with me. I've put 20k on my ACT already.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 09:10 PM

strange, i was going to put one of these in my evo but a shop owner told me to only expect about 20k miles out of it, so i was going to do the full face instead...

its a weekend car that I may launch now and then but not much... can't decide
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

I've had mine in since Feb 2012 and have well over 35K miles with no issue. Car is DD, I don't track, launch, or drag with the car, but make 500+whp and 430+wtq and jam on it all the time with no issue.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

15K here with fidanza FW. Clutch feels good almost stock stiff pedal.didnt have a chance to test it on the drag strip( tune issue) but been doing some pulls on my private road.ACT TOB starts to chirp when clutch gets hot but if you let it to cool it down then it stops.the only thing I noticed is that you have to ride a clutch a little from the stop.forward and reverse. Cars jerks a little and then drives smoothly.dont know if it's bc of FW or pucks.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Stop saying a 6-puck feels like a stock clutch. They don't.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Demon ,I swear to god pedal is not hard.i change it this June and expected to be hard after reading on forums. Even my 5' wife can drive the car sometimes. It's not as easy as stock but not bad at all.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Pedal pressure will be independent of your choice of clutch disc. I agree with egis the high pressure pressure plate did not feel different from stock. Below was my feedback from 2012 when I had just switched from stock.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post9959256

On the topic of clutch disc, the 6-puck is worlds different than the stock full face disc. It hates hill starts and is more on/off vs a full face clutch disc.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
Stop saying a 6-puck feels like a stock clutch. They don't.
From my experience, 6 puck sprung discs have very good drivability.