Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

O2 housing gasket question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O2 housing gasket question

So I have an Evo 8 with an internally gated fp green. I'm about to get it tuned so I switched out a few things I personally preferred. One thing being I had a o2 with a dump on it and I wanted to run closed O2 housing. So I switched over to a Megan ricirculated o2. When I was installing the Megan dump the stud coming off the turbo stuck out too far causing it to hit the back side of the o2 preventing it to tighten flush with the turbo. I decided to just run 2 gaskets since that gave me enough clearance to tighten it. It's the type of gaskets that have no divider and I was wondering if that's ok. It seems I'll just have more exhaust flowing through the wastegate part of the o2. I'm sure it'll affect a few things like wastegate control but are there any real cons? Oh also I tried searching I couldn't really find what's the main difference between the divided gaskets and the open. Thanks for any input.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dont know that there are any draw backs--but listen, you took the time to make changes and instead of getting the rt gasket and using it you opted for what you had--yeah we all do that. Here is the other problem I see, my guess is you will be doing it all over again with that double gasket, that is a big No-way-no. Sure the stud fits but it would have been a whole lot better to 1) replace the stud, 2) clearance the dump, 3) trim the stud with a dremel. I know, you didn't have time or the rt tools/parts for any of these option. But as your finding time to rework this when the gasket fails--think about the time you would have saved by selecting another option. Never double gaskets--not just in this circumstance but under any circumstances--just not the rt thing to do.