Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rod through the block dude

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2015 | 01:52 AM
Evolved Member

Rod through the block dude

Well not exactly but not far off, something went through the block...

I found block casing, piston ring material and what looks to be like piston or rod material on the ground trailing my evo.

A few of you may know me, I post here every now and then mostly just lurking, trolling or congratulating others on their build success but this is one of my first real posts about myself. I was one day away from tuning and something catastrophic happened on my way home from my buddies house. We had just finished installing the new timing belt (Gates racing belt and balance shaft belt, the old gates belt was fine but had too much slack from improper tension. I decided to swap to a stronger belt before the current belt slipped or broke on me at high boost levels.) I am still unsure as to how it might have happened because there are far too many variables and the failure was at 4200RPM. I have a feeling it was one of four things #1 THE MAP, it was a base map (previously tuned map backed off in every area / similar mods) from a local tuner just to get me running and driving (free map) since I was in a time crunch and I was moving to a new house. #2 THE SPARK PLUGS, they were the OEM heat range plugs and MAYBE were not rated for what I was doing (the new ones were NGK coppers 8 heat range.)

#3 OLD *** ENGINE, the block had 160k (fresh head gasket/ H11 headstuds / etc but stock block) it tested 170 across the board last I checked it and had no smoking issues or anything ie healthy motor. #3 OVERBOOST, It's quite likely that I overboosted (had major boost leaks that were taken care of that day) and I detonated or had significant knock. I am unsure if this is possible since the failure happened at 4200RPM and a 6466 untuned would be making all of 15psi at most on a 2.0L stock block. The car was base mapped on E85 and I didn't feel anything when rolling into boost prior to the freeway. #4 SOMETHING totally unrelated happened (maybe god wanted me to stance my evo, love men and roll race.) DIGS FTMFW

I still think to this day if I had hooked up my AFR, Boost, Oil pressure, Water temp gauges sooner than I did (this was a total overhaul big turbo, wiring, tuck, small brakes, gutted interior I was supposed to do this the next day) I might still have my motor. At the end of the day I am not one to point fingers, but of course I am looking into this failure as it might save myself or others down the road.

It is very unfortunate as I have spent well in excess of one year getting my EVO to where it is now and this happened so unexpectedly (not racing or enjoying the car.) I had big dreams to run the stock block to the limits (600whp/400ft lbs) and make some sweet passes/set some great times at the track. That is all over for now as I need a whole new engine (head might be destroyed as well at least the spark plug in CYL 3 says so) and financially I will not dig myself into a hole for this car. I need to get my priorities in check (hey an actual garage might be a start) and come back to this full force when I can build the car to the best of my abilities. I am not a quitter so I will finish the car but I just wanted to let everyone know what was going on in my EVOs life, all the support would greatly appreciated right about now as this is a very depressing situation

Last edited by mitsubeastlee; Apr 6, 2015 at 01:54 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2015 | 07:58 AM

I'd blame the worn old *** engine, and the base map tune. NEVER Step on the gas until the car is properly tuned. That's a rookie move.

Time for a built motor!
Old Apr 6, 2015 | 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Old motor and bad tune might definitely be the culprit, although you can't dismiss "#4 SOMETHING totally unrelated happened (maybe god wanted me to stance my evo, love men and roll race.) DIGS FTMFW"
At this point, do not quit on that Evo! She looks amazing and has the potential to kick some ***. I am sure a motor build was going to happen anyway, so just take your time and get it done!
Old Apr 6, 2015 | 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

160k miles on a stock bottom end....... Enough said lol.... Don't get yourself down over it just start looking for a block and start slowly collecting things you need, so when the time comes your a lot closer to being where you need to be.
Old Apr 6, 2015 | 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sikilla
I'd blame the worn old *** engine, and the base map tune. NEVER Step on the gas until the car is properly tuned. That's a rookie move.

Time for a built motor!
You know what I totally agree on taking it easy until properly tuned, hence the reason why I have touched 5000RPM one time in the 180-200 miles I was on the base map. The issue this time was that prior to the day of the block exploding, I had major boost leaks that would keep the car laggy and the turbo from building significant boost. After changing the timing belt I had fixed all leaks and was able to hold 30psi on the boost leak test. When I drove the car home I kept the RPM as low as possible sub 3500RPM on the streets, as I merged on to the freeway I needed to gain speed or else risk a dangerous situation. I rolled into boost about 70% throttle and by 4200RPM (butt dyno said the boost was coming on around 3500RPM) the motor had blown. I heard stuff ricocheting under the vehicle and I knew it was over. Had my AFR/Boost gauge been 100% installed like it had been before I think I would have noticed the lean condition (my best guess.)

I really dont think the mileage on the block was the most significant reason why the engine blew up as i was previously tuned to 25psi on a EVO IX turbo on 91 for about 10,000 miles with no issues. I got bored and decided big turbo was the best bet for a temp solution. i had plans to build a block the whole time but obviously not prematurely like this. I had hoped to get a few passes BARE MINIMUM if not a few thousand miles before she blew if at all. I am well aware of the limits on the stock block and I was no where near pushing them power wise, not even stock power levels. I really think it was a lean condition that melted the piston.

Btw it hasn't been brought up but yes the timing belt was done properly and the timing marks still line up even after the incident.

free upload pictures
Old Apr 6, 2015 | 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

my vote is #4 . this was overdue. btw whats up with plug gap #2 in that police line up. hes the punk that took my purse!!!!!!!!!!
sorry man but good time to build that thing
Old Apr 6, 2015 | 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robbyredneck
my vote is #4 . this was overdue. btw whats up with plug gap #2 in that police line up. hes the punk that took my purse!!!!!!!!!!
sorry man but good time to build that thing
HAHAHA #2 was the cylinder that exploded, the piston fragments knocked the gap out of wack, there was a tiny spec of metal material on the end of spark plug after the explosion.
Old Apr 6, 2015 | 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Could have been a million things. The injector for cylinder 2 could be bad, the ignition coil for cyl 2 could have been bad. The list could go on....
Old Apr 6, 2015 | 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lostsoulsevo
Could have been a million things. The injector for cylinder 2 could be bad, the ignition coil for cyl 2 could have been bad. The list could go on....
Ive thought about injectors although they are new FIC 2150cc (sitting for 6 months on e85 while the car was pieced together)

I never really thought about the OEM ignition coils because I have had zero issues this far with breakup or anything...its very likely though. I did do a wire tuck so its likely something could not have been grounded. All i know is when the built block goes in the car will be not only started on a new map but I will be logging the entire time and my gauges will be installed.
Old Apr 6, 2015 | 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Injectors sitting for 6 months with e85 could be the culprit! They gunk up quick if the car is not being driven.
Old Apr 6, 2015 | 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

offtopic, but where did you get the heatshield for your exhaust?
Old Apr 6, 2015 | 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1UpMoto
offtopic, but where did you get the heatshield for your exhaust?

It was made by Spoolin Performance in San Jose, Ca they run about $30 I believe. He makes 3 and 4 inch. My exhaust shield is 4 inch my genitalia is much larger.
Old Apr 6, 2015 | 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Running a 6466 on a stock block with an E85 base map with no boost, AFR, or oil pressure gauges. SMH
Old Apr 6, 2015 | 08:28 PM

Those FIC injectors are notorious for getting messed up when e85 is left in them for a period of time without being driven and almost impossible to fix once they seize.

Take them to get checked out/ flow tested, that could be the issue.
Old Apr 6, 2015 | 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deylag
Running a 6466 on a stock block with an E85 base map with no boost, AFR, or oil pressure gauges. SMH
SOUNDS LIKE A WINNING COMBO HUH?

Yeah well when you really look at it a 6466 is making less power under 5000rpm than a stock turbo so it is no more dangerous. Yeah it was stupid to drive on it and all of my gauges were hooked up at one point (defi bf with control unit) but when i did my wiring tuck i disconnected everything and dodnt forsee anything bad happening if I wasnt trying to stop light race kids in their dads corvettes.

It is very likely one of my injectors is clogged, if that's the case I will be very sad as this is something I would not expect from a new $700 set of injectors (I thought the old "pintle" style injectors did this not the "ball and seat" style I could have sworn the new ev14 bosch injectors did ot have these probelms, i could be wrong) in less than one year, but I know its very possible. I need to pull them and see what I find...

Quick Reply: Rod through the block dude