Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Driveshaft shop axles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driveshaft shop axles

Hey, has anyone had any experience with these DRIVESHAFT SHOP axles for a stock evo9? I think a rubber booty ripped on my stock driver side so I was going to replace and OEM is expensive!!!! I'm looking at the basic axles level 0, they are 350$ for one or maybe the pair from vividracing.com. Looks like its a stock replacement and built better. Eventually ill be making some more power out of the car but for now ill use these until I need to upgrade to a higher HP setup. Any input is helpful, thanks
Old Apr 13, 2015, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the stage 2 in my 8, 400whp and launched on them many times with some stickies. never had a problem yet. although, it seems at highway speeds you can hear them. its either the axles or my wheels are just out of balance.

but, +1 to DS axles
Old Apr 14, 2015, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by jake33
I have the stage 2 in my 8, 400whp and launched on them many times with some stickies. never had a problem yet. although, it seems at highway speeds you can hear them. its either the axles or my wheels are just out of balance.

but, +1 to DS axles

Thanks, do you drive the car daily? this is my daily so I want to only spend $$ one time.....for now
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:50 AM

the noise was coming from my old wheels, i put new ones on today and the noise is gone.

i DD my car on PA roads. the suspension sees some major abuse
Old Apr 15, 2015, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by c.scatena
Hey, has anyone had any experience with these DRIVESHAFT SHOP axles for a stock evo9? I think a rubber booty ripped on my stock driver side so I was going to replace and OEM is expensive!!!! I'm looking at the basic axles level 0, they are 350$ for one or maybe the pair from vividracing.com. Looks like its a stock replacement and built better. Eventually ill be making some more power out of the car but for now ill use these until I need to upgrade to a higher HP setup. Any input is helpful, thanks
I was about to ask the same thing as I messed up the driver axle on mine last weekend. I have researched and basically came to the conclusion that these are the way to go but I also wanted to know how much power these can handle . I plan to eventually be around 400 - 450 hp and was hoping that these would work at that power level but I haven't found out if they will.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 08:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
I would hope they can handle the same power as stock axles, which is a lot..
Old Apr 17, 2015, 04:20 AM

The stock axle is about 550$ a piece for the front, your looking at ~2000$ for all four front and back. These driveshaft shop axles are definitely reasonably priced. They have a pair of 650hp rated level 2 for $720. THATS THE PRICE FOR A PAIR!!!! Compared to 550$ for only one stock axle. Most likely this is the way I'm going to go also, but I don't even know if my axle is bad yet. I've seen some grease on my driverside but it seems to have stopped. I wont be able to really tell until I install my FA500's. Ill keep posted, thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 05:57 PM

Old thread but seems to be the only one specifically about Driveshaft shop. I think my passenger side one is going bad..boot looks fine, but i can hear clicking sound every time i take a left turn with low speed i guess thats when it extends and starts doing the noise. Driveshaft looks like the ONLY alternative to the OEM ones so.. did you end up putting one, if yes, how it performs? I wander if its okay to have OEM one on the drivers side and aftermarket one on the passenger`s i`d assume they have difference weight and maybe rotation or thats nonsense lol I am also looking at the non-racing one
Old Oct 9, 2018, 04:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by DilyanM
Old thread but seems to be the only one specifically about Driveshaft shop. I think my passenger side one is going bad..boot looks fine, but i can hear clicking sound every time i take a left turn with low speed i guess thats when it extends and starts doing the noise. Driveshaft looks like the ONLY alternative to the OEM ones so.. did you end up putting one, if yes, how it performs? I wander if its okay to have OEM one on the drivers side and aftermarket one on the passenger`s i`d assume they have difference weight and maybe rotation or thats nonsense lol I am also looking at the non-racing one
I bought a set of their 900hp front axles 2 years ago. The fitment is great, but make sure they put the ABS ring in the right spot. I had to send mine back the first time around for them to move it up so that it spins under the ABS sensor. They drive like the stock ones, but can handle the power when you need it.
The following users liked this post:
Is2scooby (Oct 12, 2018)
Old Oct 10, 2018, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I bought some replacement OEM level ones. Side by side, the DSS ones look nicer and look a little stronger, however that is all just conjecture. I have put 500 miles on them so far since i have had the car back together and no issues. I am still breaking in new trans and clutch but from the couple hard accelerations I have done they seem to feel exactly like OEM. I had no fitment issues or anything they went right in and they do the job. I would say OEM equivalent quality, but I cannot say that for sure until I put OEM level miles on them.

If I was you @DilyanM I would just swap both. Theyre not hard to replace and Its peace of mind. I am still on OEM rears but my rears were in much better condition compared to my fronts. The DSS axles are roughly the same size as the OEM axles but the size isnt exactly the same.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 09:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
For what its worth, we have never broken a stock front axle and we used them all the way up to 8.4 second passes.

If anyone has just a torn boot, the OEM boot replacement kits are the way to go. Theyre fairly cheap and readily available. If the axle is actually damaged beyond the boot then i would agree the DSS axles are a cheap alternative and i've never seen a set of those fail yet either.

-Austin@STM
The following users liked this post:
Is2scooby (Oct 12, 2018)