Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

random tick/pop

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
random tick/pop

I'm trying to help a friend out with his evo. Recently he brought his car out (it sits in storage and he drives it every couple weeks). The car seems to have developed a random popping noise. It sounds like when you strike a small piece of metal against a larger piece of metal. Can you guys help troubleshoot, I have no idea what it is.

It does it at idle and cruise. Can't tell if it does it at WOT since its too loud to tell.

Here is the video

Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Collapsed lifter? Or maybe a bad rocker
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo ix random tick

I have that same exact random tick on my ix. Have you figured out what that tick is? Ive swapped coils, replaced plugs, done a wet and dry compression test. Compression was really good, and all the other things didn't take away that random tick. Mines sounds like it's coming from cylinder 1. I might try to swap injectors if all else fails. But I see your post is from last year. Maybe u guys found the problem or solution? Did the engine fail? Please lmk

I bought my car used and had 68k miles on it and came with Injen intake and upper and lower intercooler piping, and tbe. Idk if it's cammed but it idles a bit like its cammed. Currently at 78k miles.