Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

No reverse after clutch install!

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2015 | 02:12 PM

Question No reverse after clutch install!

So I just put in an ACT HD street/prolite flywheel in and started her up. everything seemed ok, no out of the ordinary noises. when i put it in R, it feels like it goes into slot in the shifter, but when i let go of the clutch, it grinds and spits it back out to neutral.

I bled my cllutch line, adjusted the clutch pedal as high as it can go, still nothing. i remove the battery and look at the shifter linkage on the tranny, i put it in R with the car off, it looks/feels locked in the shifter and on the shifter arms on the tranny, but when i push the car slowly backwards in neutral, i see the shifter arm on the tranny moving side to side accompanied by some clicking noise.

Did i bend something in the tranny? ALL foward gears 1-5 work great, no problems. i can go anywhere that doesnt need backing up. Thx.
Old May 17, 2015 | 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

When I did my clutch the levers on the control housing wanted to catch the fender. So, I pulled the control housing. If you didn't maybe you bent one of the levers.
Old May 17, 2015 | 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
When I did my clutch the levers on the control housing wanted to catch the fender. So, I pulled the control housing. If you didn't maybe you bent one of the levers.
After the first 150 miles, no troubles going in forward gears 1-5 . Still no Reverse, my reverse light go on when I put in that slot though.

You mean ya removed the whole control housing before taking out the tranny? Is the control housing the shifter unit/arm attached to the tranny, it's held by like 4 bolts.?

Last edited by iwantevonow; May 17, 2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old May 17, 2015 | 07:34 PM

So I've been searching around, found a couple threads stating similar problems, but no real answer or solutions other than replacing the tranny. It isnt a bad idea thoug, kinda wanted to get my tranny rebuilt.

I read that the Reverse gear Is in the end of the output shaft, Is this the same shaft that we take out using the slide hammer for the tranny removal? I'm guessing I didn't have the shaft seated properly during the install. ill try to slide it in, that when i get home.

Last edited by iwantevonow; May 17, 2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old May 18, 2015 | 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by iwantevonow
After the first 150 miles, no troubles going in forward gears 1-5 . Still no Reverse, my reverse light go on when I put in that slot though.

You mean ya removed the whole control housing before taking out the tranny? Is the control housing the shifter unit/arm attached to the tranny, it's held by like 4 bolts.?
Yes.
Old May 18, 2015 | 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by iwantevonow
So I've been searching around, found a couple threads stating similar problems, but no real answer or solutions other than replacing the tranny. It isnt a bad idea thoug, kinda wanted to get my tranny rebuilt.

I read that the Reverse gear Is in the end of the output shaft, Is this the same shaft that we take out using the slide hammer for the tranny removal? I'm guessing I didn't have the shaft seated properly during the install. ill try to slide it in, that when i get home.
No, different shaft. Reverse gear is in the opposite end of the transmission from the bell housing. If it moves in forward gears the shaft is fine.