Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New engine build, nothing but problems....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New engine build, nothing but problems....

So I just got my car back together after being ripped apart for over a year. Its a 06 evo 9. Let me start off by saying my last engine blew up 200 miles after being built because I was an idiot. I couldn't keep my foot off the gas after I built the motor and I hadn't gotten a full tune yet. I knew it was a dumb move at the time but I couldn't resist. And now I have been paying the price. So after I blew up that motor I had this same motor rebuild, I had spun a rod bearing. I got the motor back together and finally got everything back into the car. I did a boost leak test and found my iacv had the end completely broken off of it. So I got a new one at the auto parts store (probably a mistake for not getting oem...) Got that part installed and finally the other night I got to start it for the first time. I was so excited only to get let down because it was sputtering so bad. When I first started it up it gets upto 1500rpms or so and then it fluctuates between that and around 500 sometimes almost sounding like its going to bog out and die. I tried to log the car and the fuel trims just say 0 and my wide band maxes out at 18:1 and it just stays at it maxed out and fluctuates a little when the rpms move around. It has the sound that its misfiring and it sounds awful and im afraid to keep it running on the fresh rebuild like it is. I have tried so may different things to fix it with no luck. I have the motor fully built, gsc s2 cams. new map ef3 turbo rebuild, 1000 cc id injectors, walbro 255 fuel pump, battery relocated to the trunk with evo 10 battery fuse block up front. those I feel like are the only important mods that would help with deciding what is going on with my car. My friend alex is helping me tune the car and we set the ecu up for the id 1000cc injectors as what another post on here said it should be set up as. The only difference between this build and the last one before the motor blew up is I got the 1000 cc injectors and I put that new iac and a new intercooler and the car idled fine before the eingine blew and I rebuilt it. everything else is the same mod wise. Does anyone have any advice at all. Thank you so much for you time everybody. One more thing. The gas in the car is over a year old could that have any effect on the way it is idling? I have almost a full tank in it right now and its over a year old.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
It would not be a bad idea to put fresh gas.
Have you tried to log the ISC steps and check the BISS screw?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 01:02 PM

I was going to but everything online said to let it get to operating temp before adjusting the boss and I haven't wanted to let it run that long. How do I disable the iac with evo scan is it the speed adjustment screw setting on evo scan?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 01:13 PM

Is there any way to drain the gas or would I have to syphon it out?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There should be two drain plugs on your fuel tanks if its an 06
Old Jun 3, 2015, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the quick response by the way evo9dubai
Old Jun 3, 2015, 01:28 PM

Thanks for your quick response stlevoix . Any other advice as to why it's running so bad...
Old Jun 3, 2015, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

What fuel is this on? How long has it been sitting in the tank? If its bad gas your may have fouled plugs. Might inspect them if they were not new. Also have you check for vacuum leaks and proper fuel pressure-clogged filters
Old Jun 3, 2015, 02:58 PM

It is running on 91 octane. The fuel is atleast a year old maybe more because my car hasn't run in atleast that long. The plugs were brand new. Would a fuel filter get clogged from gas just sitting in it or would the gas lose octane over time? I did a full boost leak test and everything was good before I started. I might try and do one one more time and double check. How would I check fuel pressure? I still have stock fuel pressure regulator
Old Jun 3, 2015, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

the sock filter may be clogged, if fuel is over a year old definitely change that first. Might be wise to pull the fuel pump hanger real quick and do a visual inspection of everything including the sock. To check fuel pressure you will need a gauge.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the ideas. Tomorrow after work I will try and check those out and let you know what happens. Let me know if you or anyone else have any other ideas. Thanks again!
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

You can't miss the fuel tank drain bolts but be prepared to have a bucket/pan on hand because it pisses out really fast.

Hopefully new fuel will be the cure.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:07 AM

I'm going down later tonight hopefully that will be the fix. I talked to someone else and they said I could have low compression.... It this all signs of low compression? I plan on doing a test tonight. God I hope not. I just out the motor back in....
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Also, you say the wideband is reading very lean, make sure the injectors are set up properly in ecuflash if none of the suggestions fix the problem.

Last edited by Evo9_Dubai; Jun 4, 2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:10 PM

My friend is the one helping me tune the car ND we set everything up how it was said to on another threat on here for the I'd 1000cc injectors. I'm sure they need to be fine tuned a little but I doubt with those setting it recommended it would be that far off. I will have him double check. Anything else in the base tune that would have that kind of effect on it

Quick Reply: New engine build, nothing but problems....