Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Knock problem.... or is it? HELP PLEASE....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Knock problem.... or is it? HELP PLEASE....

Hey guys, so first off just want to say i am not a word smith and i will most likely spell things wrong or have horrible gamer.... Sorry

The problem.... Knock...

2500-4k RPM range, 75-110 load. Knock counts vary, some times it start like 1,5,21,0 other is it 2,3,3,4,5,4,4,3,2. It is only in that RPM range if i let it keep pasted 4k it is clean no problems.

The History.
Got the car an it has ales had this problem. Thinking it was a sick motor i pulled the motor and opened it up. Come to find out the balance shaft is mared and the bearing dose not look health. So delete the BS and new bearings all the way around. Get it back to gather and not only is it still there now it is 20-35 counts.. After 10 miles the crank has walked in to the block due to i some how ( i might of been a little drunk ) knocked out my thrust bearing.

I end up buying a block from my buddy Fredric and do a full build. Wisco HD's, Manley rods, BS delete, and a full neutral balance all in a new block. Rods and mains are at .03 end thrust is a .015 ( thrust bearings are in there lol ). Problem is still there as described in the first part of the post. I have tried another good ECU, it is on a Stock Map with SD conversion. Yes i have checked for clearance and nothing is banging around. Nothing is lose on the motor, ECU is bolted in, i do have a quafi in the T-case they are said to make a little nose.

So now i am at a loss.. I am going to try maybe rerunning the wires to the knock sensor maybe the shielding is not grounded right. But honestly i am a little over my head at this point. If any one can shed some light on the subject please do so.

PS: If you honestly looking to help or have experience with the same thing you can alwes test 4259313223, i really just want to drive my evo been own for 2 years now.

Last edited by Seancj; Jun 4, 2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Easy enough to find out if its real.

1. Splash in some race gas
2. Pull some timing out of it in that area of the map
3. Add some fuel in that area of the map

If it does not change it's safe to say it's false knock. Then and only then would I mess with the knock tables
Old Jun 4, 2015, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Easy enough to find out if its real.

1. Splash in some race gas
2. Pull some timing out of it in that area of the map
3. Add some fuel in that area of the map

If it does not change it's safe to say it's false knock. Then and only then would I mess with the knock tables

Yep I did the timing pull to test it out. AFRs where good so I did not add fuel but I did set timing to 15 from 0 to 120 load across all RPM's in both low and high octain maps and problums is still there.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Update

Update.
So all testing was done with a modified map. Timing on both the High and Low octane maps where set to 10 deg for all my knock testing. During the test car did not see over 115 load. It is a 9/1 compression motor on pump gas. This ECU and tune was also tested on in a buddy’s car with no problems. Knock modification tables worked in his car. Timing was dead on.
First:
We made a jumper for the knock sensor. Using a mistu connectors and some shielded wire to make a harness that would plug in the knock sensor and we could pin right to the ECU replacing the factor knock sensor shielded wire. The shielded was both grounded on the sensor side and the ECU side to make sure the shielding had a solid ground and we were not getting interference.
This made no change knock was still there is said load and RMP ranges. No luck on the next idea.
Next:
We decided to unplug the factor knock and plug in a known good one we had laying around. I tied it up out of the way making sure it could not bump anything then striped the end of the wire wrapping it around the threaded part of the knock sensor. Electrical taping it on there, I striped the other end of said wire and put an eye let on it bolting it to the chase. (Grounded knock sensor out of the block should be like a blind man in an empty room.)
Now I have knock 9 counts from 2500-4k. Knock voltage is the 0 volts for the most part but I see .0195-.034 sporadically throw the log. Also somehow in parts am getting down to -3 somehow even though all timing should be set to 10 deg.
Last:
I went in to the ECU under the Knock Control tables there is a table where I can set the ECU to ignore knock using RPM and Load. I set the ECU to ignore all knock under 130 load from 2k-5k. Knock sensor is still grounded as I described above.
StilI have knock 9 counts from 2500-4k. Knock voltage is the 0 volts for the most part but I see .0195-.034 sporadically throw the log. Also somehow in parts am getting down to -3 somehow even though all timing should be set to 10 deg.

The only thing I can think of now is that somehow I have an to ECU ground that is getting power and it is just making the ECU freak out. And it just so happens it is seeing it as knock. But honestly this is way over my head. Any insight would be great.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Bump
Old Jul 2, 2015, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...tom-knock.html