Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

broken crankshaft pulley

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
broken crankshaft pulley

Driving home sat. Heard a clank. Noticed something dropped. Got a brake light, and abs light came on. Pulled over. Got towed home. Jacked the car up. Realized crankshaft pulley was totaly gone 4 bolts are broken into harmonic balancer. Question is what do i need to buy to fix this issues? Juat crankshaft pulley? Found the oem part number , not sure though MN149074. can i just replace the pulley correct. I dont have to dissemble thetiming belt do i?just put in the new pulley and slide a new belt on?thanks and also im thinking about to extract thr broken bolts myself.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could try and drill and tap them out or if there is enough of the bolt to grip on to could get pliers and twist them out maybe, but Id pull the timing belt off and replace the crankshaft sprocket. can change over the timing belt and water pump while your in there.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Once the bolt snaps the pressure is off the threads. The first thing I would try is turning the stubs out with a pick. If it looks like you have to drill, buy a new gear.

The bolt torque is only 18 foot pounds. I suggest, along with buying a new pulley, buying OEM fasteners. Don't depend on fasteners from another source.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 06:08 AM

Is the sprocket connected to that harmonic balancer? then the crankshaft pulley is connected to the sprocket? Anybody know the oem part number for the oem fastners?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
http://www.spoolinup.com/ARP-Crank-P...olts_p_88.html
Old Jun 5, 2015, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by askboutme
Is the sprocket connected to that harmonic balancer? then the crankshaft pulley is connected to the sprocket? Anybody know the oem part number for the oem fastners?
Damper, harmonic balancer and crank pulley are all names for the same thing. Remove the timing belt, remove the crank bolt and the sprocket slides off. There is also a key. People with mechanical ability mess with timing belts. Those who don't take it somewhere.

Last edited by barneyb; Jun 5, 2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 01:18 PM

https://youtu.be/mmOK5uEMLBg @1:59 isnt that crank pulley? They are different components, no? I need that component with the fasteners correct?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes that is the crank pulley. It bolts onto the crank sprocket, which slides on the crankshaft. If the bolts have snapped off, the crankshaft sproket will need to be replaced.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:35 PM

Hi had the same issues. as has been stated if you have not fixed this yet is try and undo them with a o-ring pick or something similar. if this doesn't work because of the low torque on the bolts an easy out will work. I had to do that with one of my bolts