Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clunk noise after shop installed alternator

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2015, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Clunk noise after shop installed alternator

Little background:

Went to a popular Evo shop this last Wednesday and had them install a new Mitsubishi alternator and serpentine belt and new transmission fluid. The shop I went to took the axle out to remove/install the alternator, which is one method of doing it and how the service manual does it.

Today, 2 days later I am hearing a clunking/thud sound coming from the right wheel area of the car. It is not a loud noise but it is noticeable. It happens when turning left or right and especially when I am going over bumps… But it is not consistent. I want to say it happens more when I turn to the left.

I have tried calling the shop today about 5 times and could not get thru. I live 1.5 hours away so it will be an effort to go all the way back…

1) What do you guys think it is?
2) Should I go to a nearby friends house with tools to try and figure it out???

Any help would be great for this evo owner.

Thanks,

Nick
Old Jun 5, 2015, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I'd check where they were working - like maybe they forgot to tighten the axle nut. Put me working on my own car and I am like a brain surgeon but put me in a commercial situation where I am working on cars all day and pretty soon I am zoning. It happens.

Last edited by barneyb; Jun 5, 2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 07:25 PM

@barneyb: Thanks for the quick response. Guess I will drive it tomorrow to my buddys house about 20 miles away to check things out.

Is there any special tool I may need to fix this? Like an axle puller??
Old Jun 5, 2015, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wiseguy9
@barneyb: Thanks for the quick response. Guess I will drive it tomorrow to my buddys house about 20 miles away to check things out.

Is there any special tool I may need to fix this? Like an axle puller??
I never replaced the alternator on this car but I've heard that removing the axle is one way to do it. On the other hand, I've pulled axles.

To remove an axle, raise the car, remove the wheel, remove the axle nut and washer, remove the brake caliper, remove the rotor, remove the two bolts connecting the knuckle to the strut, pull the outboard end of the axle out of the hub, drain the transfer case and pry the axle out of the transfer case. This also means unbolting a couple of clips that hold the brake line and abs wiring in place.

So, just check that any of these bolts weren't left loose and that the axle is firmly snapped into the transfer case. The axle nut, if left loose can ruin the bearing. Torque for the axle nut is 167 foot pounds so an air wrench would be helpful if the nut is found loose. Also maybe check that the transfer case is full of lubricant.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 07:53 PM

Gotcha! will report my findings tomorrow!

Thank you
Old Jun 6, 2015, 05:26 PM

Not sure if the pics below will work. Basically the shop did not put the nut back on the bolt where the lower control arm and knuckle meet.. The last pic is my fix using an nylon inserted metal m12 - 1.25 nut and washer. Should I replace this soon with an oem item nut???
Old Jun 6, 2015, 05:31 PM

When I try to upload pics via iPhone it uploads a random pic with s guy in a black evo.... Wtf
Old Jun 6, 2015, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wiseguy9
Not sure if the pics below will work. Basically the shop did not put the nut back on the bolt where the lower control arm and knuckle meet.. The last pic is my fix using an nylon inserted metal m12 - 1.25 nut and washer. Should I replace this soon with an oem item nut???
What you put on there is probably good for a million miles. However, this is such an important part on the vehicle I recommend getting the OEM nut. BTW, you may have just saved you life.

The shop should be informed as to what you found. Don't be nasty about it, just inform them. The employe who did the work needs to know he/she is guilty of a serious error.

Torque on the fastener is 80 ft pounds.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 09:16 PM

@barneyb. Thanks for your help with this whole thing. Wish I could upload the pics of the negligence. Oh well..

On a slightly different issue could any damage have been done by this?

Gonna go for a test drive now 😀
Old Jun 7, 2015, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

I have no experience with driving and not having the ball joint secure. So, the only advice I can offer is to pull the lower control arm out of the knuckle looking to see if anything got chewed.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:03 PM

Looks like I got lucky, the ball joint looked good, so no obvious damage there. The shop sent me out a new mitsubishi nut to use and a gift card. lol

Thanks Barneyb for support.!!
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Every good story has a happy ending.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:59 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
the bolt does all the work, so as long as it was in there you are good. very lucky! had it backed out, that would have been a different story.

good that you found the fix! and also good it was soon enough that nothing bad happened.