Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

No compression after timing belt change!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2015, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No compression after timing belt change!!

The belt did not break... Car ran fine until i took all the serpentine components off to pull the lower timing cover to spot a leak.... Put all the components back on and must have made the timing belt jump a tooth in the process of loosening the crank pulley...

Cams were TDC and the crank was at TDC... Put the belt on and rotated about 6 full turns... All the marks were lined up and didn't feel any real resistance like valves hitting. so i went to start it and noticed it was way to easy to crank with no start... Pressure tested 1 and 3 cylinder and cylinder 1 had 30 and 3 had 0...

Now i do know i had to rotate the crank 90 degrees from TDC in order to rotate the intake cam to TDC... once there i rotated the crank back to TDC.... I then only had to turn and keep pressure on the intake cam in order to get it to stay at TDC.. The exhaust cam just rested there perfectly..

Did i bend some valves or is the timing somehow not correct and thats why I'm getting no pressure?

Is there some how i am maybe 180 degrees off or something?

Last edited by marinejensen; Jun 24, 2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 07:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
If the crankshaft is at TDC and the cams are on the marks and stay on the marks when the engine is turned over, the timing is correct. If there is no mechanical compression, that could mean several things, but the most likely scenario is not the one you want to hear. Pop the valve cover, verify that all valves and lifters have appropriate action when the engine is turned, and check that the spark plugs haven't been loosened. If all seems in order, make plans to remove the head and have a look at the valves.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Ok ill pull it and check... Engine has only 600 miles so I'm sure its not a stuck valve...
Old Jun 24, 2015, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
If the crankshaft is at TDC and the cams are on the marks and stay on the marks when the engine is turned over, the timing is correct. If there is no mechanical compression, that could mean several things, but the most likely scenario is not the one you want to hear. Pop the valve cover, verify that all valves and lifters have appropriate action when the engine is turned, and check that the spark plugs haven't been loosened. If all seems in order, make plans to remove the head and have a look at the valves.
k ill pull it off and have a look tom.... The weird thing is after i put all the serpentine belt related objects on and tried to start it it had compression just wouldn't start due to the timing being off by one tooth... like i said re timed it and tried to start again after i had rotated it by hand several times and boom no compression... For ****s and giggles say the valves are not bent then what could it be? Also should i test 2 and 4 for compression and see what i come up with... I didn't do this because i figured it is a waste of time...

THANKS FOR THE HELP! Im no noob at this but not an expert by any means... I just know about stuff i have had to fix ..... and its been a lot of stuff lol
Old Jun 24, 2015, 08:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Like I said, pop the valve cover and have a look there first. If you've not touched the cams or spark plugs, and everything under the cover is correct and functional, that points to the valves. It just takes one engine revolution with a mis-timed cam to bend a handful of valves.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Like I said, pop the valve cover and have a look there first. If you've not touched the cams or spark plugs, and everything under the cover is correct and functional, that points to the valves. It just takes one engine revolution with a mis-timed cam to bend a handful of valves.

Will do thanK you sir!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Seems like any time there isn't proper tension on the timing belt it will jump at the crank sprocket.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Seems like any time there isn't proper tension on the timing belt it will jump at the crank sprocket.
Yep Ive learned that now too...
Old Jun 30, 2015, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

So I have adjustable cam gears and they are set 3 marks(degrees?) to the left... will that change my TDC or do I still use the center TDC mark..
Old Jun 30, 2015, 07:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Nothing changes TDC at the crank. Where the cams are set has no bearing on that. When the crank timing mark is at TDC, there is a timing mark on the outside edge of each cam gear that must line up with the corresponding marks on the valve cover. If these marks don't line up, the timing gear is out of whack.

Adjusting the cam timing means turning the inside hub to which the cams are attached while the cam gear itself remains stationary and on its TDC marks.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Nothing changes TDC at the crank. Where the cams are set has no bearing on that. When the crank timing mark is at TDC, there is a timing mark on the outside edge of each cam gear that must line up with the corresponding marks on the valve cover. If these marks don't line up, the timing gear is out of whack.

Adjusting the cam timing means turning the inside hub to which the cams are attached while the cam gear itself remains stationary and on its TDC marks.
Yeah dang it timing is correct.... well after work I should finally get time to pull the valve cover off and have a look... again thanks for the help and I'll post the results
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
classic 90% DSM rule. it says "90% of all failures are from someone working on it." its just a rule. the percent is likely even higher.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Where everything lined up on tdc at crank.... pulled the valve cover and nothing is sticking... so taking it to a machine shop and have it looked at..

Crank tdc

Intake

Exhaust

Tdc
Old Jul 6, 2015, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
classic 90% DSM rule. it says "90% of all failures are from someone working on it." its just a rule. the percent is likely even higher.
Thanks for that invaluable advice bud... It's cool I can take it..
Old Jul 6, 2015, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Ps it has a balance eliminator kit which I why I didn't bother timing the oil pump..

Quick Reply: No compression after timing belt change!!