Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Engine Build Options

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Engine Build Options

I've been doing some research on parts and different built blocks and have a question based on everything I've read.

Are the built shortblocks like the Buschur, for example, using a new crankcase in the build? I've read that the stock crank is good for much more power than most I see with built blocks even make.

If the stock crank can handle so much power, why do all the engine rebuild packages, like at MAPerformance, seem to come with an aftermarket crankcase? It seems like a big extra expense if the stock one is so good.

Is it packaged this way for DSM builds to upgrade their crank and something that can be excluded from most Evo builds?

I just had my head resurfaced and cleaned by my local machine shop and asked about a price for engine assembly and it got me thinking.

Would getting good pistons and rods for the machine shop to do a rebuild using my stock crank be a smart upgrade or is buying already assembled from someone like Buschur the way to go? There is a big price difference because my local machine shop said they would only be around $250 for assembling a bottom end for me so I would think I could source the parts for a build and be way ahead.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 288 Likes on 219 Posts
I fail to see how any shop can charge so little and do a good job.
With the bottom end, a good shop will spend several hours just measuring everything and confirming that all tolerances are correct... Hell, just gaping the rings takes a hour..
For a bottom end build I would insist on:
Measuring all bearing tolerances, mains and big ends + crankwalk...
Confirming PTW, using torque plate in the process, and using torque plate during machining of the block
Correct ring gaps
Rod bolts tightened using bolt stretch method.

Also, have the oil pump checked for wear..
Polish the crank, stock one is ok.. might be good to magnaflux it if it has some miles on it..
Have everythiing meticuosly washed and cleaned..
Old Jul 2, 2015, 06:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
All shops use the stock block (crank case). Building an engine isn't cheap..
Old Jul 2, 2015, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Looks like I still need to hold off and get a short block from one of the big shops then. I was just getting a little tempted by the idea of a cheaper than I had been planning engine build.

I still have stock clutch and 6 speed transmission so I guess I have other things to worry about than building my block.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Build it yourself. It's honestly not that difficult as long as you're meticulous and pay attention to all the details and take your time, etc.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 06:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Things can always be done cheaper, but my block was machined by a high-end local race shop, and they spent 9 labor hours just on machining, hot tanking, measuring clearances with torque plate on, putting in head studs and main studs with an align hone, etc.

If a proper race engine is being assembled, you'll find most shops that do higher end work will measure things three times just to make sure everything is in spec.

That's just for info's sake. Just to give you an idea how meticulous things can be.

Which internals you go with depends on what your power goals are. Having an OEM 6 speed means you're going to be limited on torque.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

I decided to keep the stock block for now but I think I am going to go ahead switch to an FP Black. I'll keep the torque down on it and still get a nice bump in power from my last HTA 73 Green and S1 cams setup.

Seems like the engine build is something I'll just wait on and really do right the first time. The transmission and clutch is something I feel I need to address before stock block anyways because I really don't need a setup with any more torque right now.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by ridenrunwv
I decided to keep the stock block for now but I think I am going to go ahead switch to an FP Black. I'll keep the torque down on it and still get a nice bump in power from my last HTA 73 Green and S1 cams setup.

Seems like the engine build is something I'll just wait on and really do right the first time. The transmission and clutch is something I feel I need to address before stock block anyways because I really don't need a setup with any more torque right now.
Time for a 5 speed
Old Jul 4, 2015, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by e_kobz
Time for a 5 speed
Will the extra power from the Black be any harder on the transmission and clutch than the Green? I was thinking it wouldn't because the torque will be the same. The Black, if anything, will not have the torque hit as hard as the Green right?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 07:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Black should be easier because it won't have a huge torque hit down low. But still be careful.

And don't worry about the 5 speed. Get the Shep upgraded 6 speed. That's what I did
Old Jul 4, 2015, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Black should be easier because it won't have a huge torque hit down low. But still be careful.

And don't worry about the 5 speed. Get the Shep upgraded 6 speed. That's what I did
I have been really considering that. I have a good low milage 6 speed on the car now that doesn't seem to be worth much if I sell it and I hate to break it and have to buy a 5 speed and have it built. I am definitely going to research this more and maybe do it before I break anything on my 6 speed.